Somebody brought this to my attention (old story)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This seems to be the case with a lot of the crazy things said out loud from big platforms.

What's sad is that people actually think this kind of stuff. When I heard the Sterling tape I was shocked. Then Stephen Smith opened his mouth and I almost fainted, now this.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Keep in mind that "legitimate rape" cost Todd Akin an election two years ago..

BL.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

not just him, the GOP as a whole are it :D

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Just another "Christian" based politician who operates under the assumption that Bible is the law of the land, and anyone who doesn't agree with that needs to repent.

There are many problems with this. For one, they don't accurately represent Jesus or the Bible. They practice bigotry, discrimination, and racism and hide behind the Bible as if that's what God called them to do.

There is no middle ground, reasoning or compromise with these types. We just have to get them out of politics.

Here is a great example of the absolute insanity that gets pumped into the heads of the people who go to church to "enrich their mind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zyLRaX7jQ

As a Christian who is fed up with the modern religious right, I am ashamed at what people like this have done to the public perception of Christianity.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It has nothing to do with religion. People need to start understanding that ignorant comments have nothing to do with religion or anything that can be take off or put on.

He's an idiot because he's an idiot.

Now he may be such because of a misogynistic upbringing or being around fellow bigots but if he were an atheist he'd still be an idiot.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It has everything to do with religion. Where do you think guys like this, or Todd Akin base their beliefs on?

These guys may be idiots as far as the gaffs they make, but all they are doing is letting their true feelings be heard. The anti abortion, anti women, anti gay position of these extreme right politicians is solely based on their religious beliefs.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not religion.

(emphasis mine)

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Come on....

When it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, .....

Do you really believe that his beliefs are based on science? Is "legitimate rape" a medical term?

He has a Masters degree from a seminary and has been arrested numerous times for anti-abortion demonstrations. He authored a law to "protect the pledge of allegiance" and accused all liberals of hating God. I won't get into his feelings on homosexual marriage, but it's not difficult to connect the dots.

The fact that this guy was on the committee on Science, Space, and Technology is laughable.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think many of you would be interested in reading some of the work of Hunsberger and Altemeyer, and, Bob Altemeyer, on the relationships among Religious Fundamentalism, Authoritarianism, and Right Wing politics.

Particularly those who think that all religion is Right Wing Authoritarian, and also, those who don't. ;)

Here is an online book that Bob Altemeyer wrote about Authoritarianism:

http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think his beliefs, as he explained them, are based on some kind of misguided belief that a uterus can telepathically determine the intent of a woman's sexual partner, without her knowledge or input, and permit or deny access to that man's semen based on his motives.

But my comment wasn't about whether his beliefs make sense - they don't to me - but whether his beliefs are based on religion.

Go back and read his quote. Read all of it, because he said a lot. He had ample opportunity to mention religion in that paragraph of nonsense, or even make even the slightest hint or suggestion that he thinks what he thinks because the Bible or his pastor says so. But he didn't go there; not the slightest hint of religion.

He DID, however, throw his unnamed medical associates under the proverbial bus. He did that very specifically.

I stand by my comment. Someone who supposedly allows his religious beliefs to help shape his moral views, something I don't in any way oppose, is generally not bashful about openly saying that that's why he believes something or not. But this guy didn't do that. He flat-out said that his beliefs were based on something doctors supposedly told him. I'm not saying his beliefs make sense, or that I believe the same medical crap he claims to believe.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sorry, but if your religious beliefs force you to adopt bad science, it's still the fault of your faith and not science.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That's like me posting a bunch of racist and prejudiced things white people have said and saying that it's all based on them being white.

Religion, like much of everything else is just a tool manufactured for a purpose. Folks have used it to oppress, and folks have used it to overcome oppression.

Folks don't have to pick one or the other; science or religion, to adopt a series of ideals and perspectives. Such people are stunting their mental growth.