Somebody just told me that you can iMac is better than mac mini because

Discussion in 'iMac' started by piatti, Feb 5, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

you can watch HD movies faster on iMac because it has ATR graphics and mini doesn't? true?

2. simsaladimbamba

Untrue.
    You can watch HD movies on any current Mac, as even the Intel 3000 HD Graphics is strong enough to play some measly HD stream.
    Even my 2007 iMac can play 1080p content.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't matter. Both can play HD movies just fine.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

^^ Even my late 2007 MacBook can play 1080p movies (as long as they're not flash-based!)

5. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

So mac mini is better because iMac has overheating problem. Is this correct?

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

??
    If your desk happens to be made of fire all Macs will have an overheating problem. I'm not sure where you're going with this.

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Neither is better, just different. Both will play hd movies just fine, and neither should have any major overheating issues.

8. rcp27 macrumors regular

The iMac is better to watch HD movies on because it has a screen to watch them on?

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Lol.. I don't understand logically where these threads come from sometimes..

10. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Yeah, don't go for the mac mini, you don't get a screen with it! I wouldn't even know how to control it. Perhaps you can use it with speech control. You can still hear the sound from the movies. :p

But yes, some people would say you get a nice screen with your computer. If you already have a screen, this point is invalid (unless you like the iMac's screen much better).

11. redache, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

redache macrumors member

The only difference between a discreet ATI graphics card and an integrated Intel GPU is the variance in hardware decode support, an ATI card will typically handle the video decode which means your processor isn't used much if at all to decode a video stream (this of course depends on software support too) but in reality, for a normal user there is no obvious difference presence, some people swear by hardware decode for 'clarity' but this is more perception than fact.

The iMac is better than the Mac Mini because the Mac Mini is a laptop in a desktop shell, it's designed to be low power, reasonable performance and low price. The iMac is designed as a content consumption/creation device that has a lot more power, fast performance and a higher price. The screen addition is also important as the iMac does not have a run of the mill screen, the IPS panel inside of both the 21.5" and 27" iMacs is class leading and is far above all the competition in terms of quality.

12. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Thank you very much redache. That makes it clear.