Somebody put a credit card on my iTunes account and made purchases. WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mossme89, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

So I get an email saying my iTunes account has had info changed.
    [​IMG]

I log on, and find that purchases have been made for this weird game by someone I don't know.
    [​IMG]

Besides that, the hacker put in his own credit card info, so I wasn't charged a penny.
    [​IMG]

What's going on here? What should I do and has this happened to anyone before? It isn't anyone in my family, as I talked to everyone in my family and no one even knows my password.

The odd part of all of this is that I had my own credit card in there before. So if he wanted stuff, he could have just used my credit card. Maybe he's a good guy hacker haha?
    [​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to contact apple, and report the problem ASAP.

3. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm about to call them. And WTF? I just changed my password but someone is still making purchases. I can tell because they're automatically downloading onto my computer. What's going on?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Call Apple ASAP...and contact your own cc provider too.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should call your credit card company immediately, cancel the card ad ask for the charges to be reversed. Plus call Apple about this and report that your iTunes account was compromised.

6. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's the thing. It's not my credit card in there, I have no idea whose it is, but it's not mine.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just so they can keep an eye out for odd transactions. It could be a database glitch and your cc is now attached to someone else's iTunes account.

B

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well that's good news for your CC. So I would contact Apple and bring this to their attention so they can fix it for you and the proper owner of the account/CC that is buying stuff going to your account.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's why you need to call apple and change your password.

I'd not worry about what happened as much as securing your account at this stage. Once your account is lock or secure, then you can try to figure out what happened.

10. mossme89, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

On hold with Apple now. More purchases were made but after I changed my password again they seem to have stopped. That is a good sign.

Edit: Got off phone, billing info was changed to none. I changed my password again. looks like it's resolved :)

11. sifpilsen macrumors newbie

Don't forget...

.. to reset the security questions too on appleid.apple.com. You don't know what they plan next.

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

It was done that way to avoid being traced.

The credit card was probably stolen. If the card owner sees the transaction then Apple will trace the purchase back to you, not the person who stole the card number and hacked your account.

Not sure why this would be worth the effort (seeing as how it is not difficult to pirate music, apps or videos)? It might have been an attempt to see if the credit card number was good and whether the owner would notice weird purchases.

Smart crooks can be hard to catch.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to contact Apple and ask for refund. Here's how:
    http://obamapacman.com/iphone-guides/how-to-get-refund-from-apple-app-store/

The scammer probably used a stolen credit card. If you do not tell Apple first, your account might get shut down.

You had an insecure password. Glad you've changed it.