Someone here knows what happened to the 7.2 MB of AT&T ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caciquez, Dec 31, 2010.

1. caciquez macrumors newbie

I would like to know what happened to AT & T on its promise to launch its network upgrade to 7.2MB for later this year. Today is December 31, 2010 and I'm still waiting.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is not 7.2MB/s .... it's 7.2Mb/s, there is a huge difference between them. Also, all 3G towers have been upgraded to 7.2Mb/s HSDPA; however, the backhaul connections are still being fiber or ethernet updated to support the faster speeds and also the future HSPA+ speeds and eventually pre-4G LTE.

There are many markets that have download speeds of ~4-5 Mb/s meaning the updates are in place. More over, 7.2Mb/s is theoretical speeds and you will never actually see that in real life.

3. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Theoretical > Actual

I really hope you didn't believe you were actually going to be downloading files at 7.2 Mbps over a cell tower's Internet connection. Most people's home Internet don't even come close to 1/10 of that.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

The older iphone 3G has a slower 3G modem than the iphone 4. The iphone 4 can download 3-4 times faster than the 3G in my experience, so they seem to have upgraded the network in many areas already.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I get around 6MB down and 1-2MB up here locally on the regural.
    Try that with Verizon:D

Attached Files:

6. jason221 macrumors 6502

My record speed for downloading a file over 3G is about 500 KB/sec. That's pretty good for a phone. Average is between 150-300 KB/sec unless I'm in a bad signal area.

7. Geckotek, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AT&T is REALLY ripping it up here near Uptown Dallas. :rolleyes: I've yet to experience "the nations fastest 3G network".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

MB and Mb are two totally different things, people.

9. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Well firstly this is not a dedicated circuit, it is a shared wireless interface so speeds are dependent on site traffic levels in addition to backhaul capacity and signal quality.

The sites have been 7.2 on the air interface for the majority of the year. I believe a good majority are now HSPA+.

You'll never get more than 3.6 on a iPhone 3G. You'll barely get more than that in a 3GS thanks to lack of HSUPA.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    That sucks dude.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

That number was theoretical speed. It's a speed that you will not get ever.

12. zephxiii macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

That's evidence of 7.2 spec on the cell sites in my small Indiana crap town.

13. vistadude macrumors 65816

Indiana isn't that bad of a state... Who am I fooling, they don't respect daylights savings time.

14. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Oh we have daylight savings, and it's freakn awesome since we are on the western side of the time zone!!

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's a good thing. It needs to go away nationwide.

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Um, are you serious?

Besides dialup, they practically don't even sell internet at 768 kbps anymore...

17. elistan macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth, here near White Rock Lake I get 1.81 Mbps with a signal strength of -103 dB. Strangely enough, my "external IP" address maps to some place in Kansas. Running a speedtest against the Wichita KS server yields only 0.89 Mbps.

I'd suggest you double-check which server you're testing against and try again.

18. Geckotek, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

In that test you see the first 3 are on a Dallas server while the next 3 are on a FTW server. And I posted that because it was particularly slow. You can see in the other screen shot that I've seen faster in the past, but I've never seen anything like the 4-6Mbps some people claim to get. Somewhere below 2 Mbps seems to be my average. Over 2 Mbps is a great day but I can never get that consistently.

Edit: Interesting thing here, these speeds seem to be about what the average Verizon user gets. So where is my fastest 3G network?? All this talk about Verizon being much slower? That's not my experience here in Dallas. Perhaps other cities it's better.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My experiences in Dallas match yours.

I've had an iPhone since 2008. Over that time I regularly travel to 12 different cities for work and a few others for vacations.

Out of those 15 or so nationwide locations I've found that AT&T ranges from 0.4 Mb/s to about 2.5 Mb/s. But on average I'd say it's close to 1 the most often.

I've seen no consistent, sustained improvement over that time. Sometimes it gets better somewhere for a few months, but it inevitably ends up sliding back to where it was before. No improvement is permanent, no gains are significant. 2008? 2011? All seems pretty much the same to me.

This is not really a complaint, btw. 1 Mb/s is fine, I guess.* But I agree that all the talk of new networks with faster speeds has never amounted to any real-world results.

*Well, I guess I would complain about places like Dallas and NYC were 1 Mb/s is more of a dream than a reality.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agreed, it's not too bad...esp for a phone, but to me it's just not as rosey as others in this forum paint it to be. But like I said, it's very possible their experience differs from mine.

Perhaps I should move to Boston? Nah, rather not freeze my (fill-in-the-blank) off. :D

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey, you cant have everything in life:D
    Fast wireless 3G, the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox and a nice and warm weather....

22. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I have the exact same experiences in San Antonio, Texas and surrounding towns. The funny thing is is that San Antonio used to be AT&T's headquarters and now it is in Dallas, and they both don't get anywhere near these 5 Mbps speeds.