Someone is lying

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aranince, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

Obama born in Kenya? Obama says no, grandmother says yes.

But from what I can tell, there isn't anything to say you have to have been born in the U.S. Several candidates including Romney and McCain were not born in the U.S.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

is that like lying?

So neither of the candidates were born in the US? Interesting...

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Even if that is true, he would still be considered a natural born American citizen because of the fact that his mother was one. Also if he was not qualified to run for President, then odds are they would have noticed this and not allowed him to run. Unless of course this is all a conspiracy to get John McCain and future GILF Sarah Palin in the White House and Naval Observatory.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

b-b-but otherwise how will the Republicans win!

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Link

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If this were true, he would be a naturally born American citizen, yes, but he would not meet the qualifications for President. AFAIK (this is going back to 8th grade Social Studies (1988) ), three qualifications apply:

1. Must be at least 35 years of age.
    2. Must be born in the United States, or outlying US Territory (PR, Guam, American Samoa, etc.)
    3. Fourteen of those 35 years must be residing in the US.

To the best of my knowledge, US Embassies/Consulates would not count as US soil for this.

EDIT:

You may want to download the iConstitution App. It's free, and has all your answers. FYI, Article II, Section I, Paragraph 5.

BL.

8. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

US Embassies and consulates are considered US soil, by law and custom. If he was not eligible he would not be allowed to run. So, unless they screwed up, then he meets all qualifications.

Article 2 of the U.S. Constitution.

Also if you are born outside of the United States while your parents are traveling, then you are considered a Natural-born U.S. Citizen, as long as your parents are U.S. Citizens

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Someone is misspelling also.

It's spelled lying.

Useless thread.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Snarky, but also in contradiction to what you said yourself. :p

I'm not aware of any case law that specifies that an individual who is a citizen at the time of birth (by virtue of being the child of a citizen) is not considered "natural born."

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

True, but as I said, I was remembering back from 8th grade social studies. Then to make sure, I opened up the App and made sure to look. Hence my editing. :)

Teacher of said social studies class (and later, my Poli Sci instructor at uni) interpreted it that a natural citizen was someone born on US soil. Hence why I questioned about embassies/consulates.

BL.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

14. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The people promoting this (they have even sued Obama and the Democratic Party, I'm not sure where that's at) have some complex argument re. Obama's mother giving up her citizenship rights by moving to Kenya and marrying a Kenyan (based on the law at the time), and she had to reassert those rights, but didn't. As someone has posted, it's irrelevant because the ones who are "lieing" are the ones saying he wasn't born in Hawaii. The claims about McCain's natural-born status based on the laws at the time of his birth, are actually more compelling, but that's never going to go anywhere, so it's also irrelevant.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Embassies, consulates, military bases, etc. All US soil.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

An arguable, but not established interpretation... There is one Supreme Court case that espouses this, but at least one more later (and presumably superseding) case that explicitly disagrees with this interpretation and indicates that children born to US Citizens abroad are considered natural born without respect to where they live at the time of birth, assuming they have previously been in residence here. There's no firm case law that backs up their viewpoints (your teachers), that I can find.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Embassies are always regarded as part of the territory of the country whose embassy it is, but this does not apply to consulates or military bases except in special cases. However the relevant US law, while silent on the status of such bases, treats them as qualifying territories as far as births are concerned.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which is understandable, especially if that Supreme Court ruling was handed down after 1992 (that was when I took the college class).

The thing I do like about that, is that someone like Nicole Kidman could run for President and get away with it. ;)

BL.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It was actually handed down in the 1920's. :p The one saying that individuals born outside of US soil were not naturally born was handed down in the 1890s, however. :eek: This is why no one knows exactly how this works. All the SC has really said about it anytime recently is that private citizens can't challenge the right of an individual to run for US President anyways.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ya know, I just knew somebody was gonna bring up something like this as a last-ditch effort to keep Obama from winning the election.

If he's elected, watch: this will follow him through his entire administration. The right will complain about his "illegitimate" right to hold the office (holy irony, Batman!). Hate radio shows will bring this up ad nauseam.

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This was my point. I should have clarified it a little more. As far as citizenship goes, for all intents and purposes, said areas are "U.S. soil."

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sort of like the hate web sites saying how Bush stole the election in 2000.:rolleyes:

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Sorry, Florida did that.

We apologize.

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Fascinating. :rolleyes:zzzzzzzzz z z z...

I love it when a country whose entire population consists of immigrants and descendants of immigrants, worries about someone's birthplace.

Oh no, he's a KENYAN-AMERICAN, said the Irish-American, the Italian-American, the Asian-American, the Polish-American and the Hispanic-American, KILL HIM!

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've always found that puzzling, how people who wouldn't be living in this country if it weren't for immigrant ancestors can be incredibly anti-immigration.