Someone is offering me an Apple Cinema Display 27" (2011) for $150. Good deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by That_Damn_Kid, Jun 1, 2017.

1. That_Damn_Kid macrumors member

That_Damn_Kid

It would be a nice upgrade from my 23" Dell S2340m monitor. I assume the color accuracy is damn good? I do graphic design work.

But I have one concern. I currently own a 2011 Macbook Pro, and might be getting a Windows computer as my next laptop. Will a Windows laptop work fine with this?

2. jksu macrumors regular

yes

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Great deal - it's still a beautiful looking and brilliantly modern display. I'd buy it in a heartbeat provided it works correctly.

4. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

That_Damn_Kid: It is not unheard of for older Cinema displays to have some color "distortion" (especially around the edges) at startup. And then, after the display warms up, the color returns to normal. What that portends (failing display???), I don't know.

Still, you might give that a go after the display has been off for an hour or two, just so you're aware of what's what.

If you get a chance, please advise re how this resolves.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

The OP's talking about the later ACD which doesn't use a CCFL backlight, so it doesn't need to warm up and doesn't cause any degradation to the LCD.

6. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

While it's embarrassing being found ignorant of so much I should have already known, 'tis a valuable lesson. Many thanks, ApolloBoy.