Someone keeps trying to steal my Credit Card - How to ensure computer is safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yumid, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Yumid macrumors member

3rd Credit Card Cancelled in a few months because some doorknob keeps trying to use it at Wal-Mart in Arizona.

How do I make sure this ******** stops happening? I'm a student ffs. Cant hackers try stealing someone's stuff thats actually going to be worth stealing lol, they aren't gonna get rich off of me.. I have a late 2013 mac on osx 10.9.5.

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Keeping your software up to date, for one. And being very mindful of the places your browse and the applications you run.

3. Yumid thread starter macrumors member

Im not trying to prevent it from happening later.. Im trying to get whatevers on my computer OFF of my computer.

New software always ***** the bed..I use Pro Tools and everything works so I leave it.. if I have to update from Mav now because of security it will be the first time I've needed to update.

4. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Older operating systems lack current security features. If you suspect something is already on the computer, install and run Malwarebytes.

5. Yumid thread starter macrumors member

Yah I gave it a run but it didnt find anything. I don't really suspect something is on my computer, I think its kind of known at this point that someone is hacking me because someone has my expired card info. So its more of a DEFIANTLY need to diagnose the problem rather than checking some stuff to see if there is one. I know there is some problem, I just dont know how to fix it.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Probably not related in any way to your computer. Someone once tried to use my card number so the CC company sent me a new one. That one got hit before it even arrived in the mail. Hasn't happened since (7 years).