Someone please tell me the point of a Express Card slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wankey, Apr 8, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

I've had these on nearlly every laptop I've owned, and I find them to be probably the most pointless extras ever. Sure, back in 2001, you could buy a wireless express card adaptor since your current laptop doesn't have 802.11g or something but this is 2009 and I have never ever used the express card slot other than fiddle with it with my pinky.

Why doesn't Apple simply say this technology is obsolete and replace it with 2x USB slots or 1 usb and 1 firewire 400 slot? I'm sure more people will find it useful to have 1firewire 800, 3 usbs and 1 firewire 400 on their laptop rather than an express card slot.

Also, since the express card part is gone, that space can be better used for more cells in your battery or better overall cooling for the laptop.

So why is express card to important these days?

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I know a few people who use eSATA from their MPBs for video editing - that would be tricky without the Express Card slot.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

because those ports are pretty useful!!

you can add in lots of things
    1. firewire 400 ports
    2. firewire 800 ports
    3. USB 2.0 ports
    4. eSata
    5. sound cards
    6. Flash memory cards
    7. other stuff i cant remember.

was seriously considering getting a flash memory card to put my OS on, until i found out how slow they were..lol

4. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

PCMCIA cards are obsolete, and about the only thing most people I knew used them for were WiFi adapters, like you said.

But, now that ExpressCard has replaced PCMCIA there are more options; eSATA, FW800, TV tuner cards, external memory. It's a pretty useful option to have, if you ask me.

My M1330's ExpressCard slot doubled as the remote's storage, which was pretty cool.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahhh tv tuners good one :)

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

I have a belkin SD card reader permanently fitted into mine. SDHC cards are about as common as USB thumb drives nowdays, so having a "built-in" reader helps.

7. jb56 macrumors member

I have read about problems with the eSATA card readers on some MBP's. I have a early 09 15" Unibody running 10.5.6. Which card will work with this unit?

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I used it for a SD card reader. MUCH better than a cable and external reader.