Someone Sold My Email Address After Iphone 5 purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thebyr, Oct 17, 2012.

1. thebyr macrumors newbie

I got an email to my personal account from someone selling iPhone 5 cases on their facebook page. When I emailed them back to see how they had gotten my email address - this was their response: "We recieved a list of emails of customers who purchased the IPhone 5. We will gladly remove your email. We do apologize for the inconvenience."

I'll ignore that "recieved" is spelled incorrectly. Anyone else get any iPhone related emails after purchasing their iPhone?

I purchased my iPhone from the Apple store and I bought my case from Target.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

i'm sure somewhere along the way you forgot to uncheck that little box that allows them to sell your email.

3. thebyr thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I did, either way... "who sold it" is the question.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Kinda leaning more toward "who cares". Unsubscribe from their sales pitch and move on with life. I personally have WAY more important things to do than track down how every little spam email company got my email address. ...and I'm a pretty boring person.

5. thebyr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I care. And I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience - because I'd like to pinpoint how it happened.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Well, good luck to you in your quest!

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

apple or target. They probably sold it, and then someone else sold it, and so on.....

pretty hard to keep your email spam free unless it truly is for personal use and only real people have it.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP: Too late for this time, but I use alias e-mail addresses for different purposes and can narrow down or pinpoint who leaked my addy. Just FYI going forward.

Without more information, the SPAM may have been coincidental phishing.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

really the only way to stop it. I use my yahoo mail as a junk email and gmail for personal. I still get some spam in the gmail b.c I have used it occasionally, but it is nowhere near the spam my yahoo account gets.

10. Fergie20 macrumors member

Seriously? It's not illegal for a company to "sell" your email address if you do business with them. However, you do have a right to "opt" out before you decide to do business. And like the previous poster said, when you receive the sales pitch spam email, scroll to the bottom of the message and click unsubscribe like the MILLIONS of us do everyday.

More important things to be upset about than this.

11. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

What will you do when you do pinpoint the culprit? Write a nasty letter? Pay a visit with brass knuckles?

12. thebyr thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point - but I haven't signed up for anything. I only use my email for my apple id. I would assume it was apple - but I've been a customer with them forever. Seems odd that all of a sudden they would have sold it, when they've had access to it for years.

And there was no unsubscribe button, it came from a personal email address. I emailed them back and they responded.

And I'm not "upset" about it. I'm curious about how this could happen. I'm pretty careful with my personal email address.. I have a spam account set up for everything else. I'm definitely not irate about the situation. Again, just curious if anyone had something similar occur in the last few weeks. Thanks.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

My guess is that it was a phishing email targeted by the date of iPhone 5 release. They didn't know that you'd bought one until you replied. Now that you're on their radar, just mark the sending email address as Spam so that it will be automatically filtered to your Spam folder rather than polluting your Inbox.

You'll never find out the origin because it wasn't personal. Apple won't sell your email address.