Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Someone mentioned this on facebook and then I googled it. I can't stop laughing to be honest.

A plane that was stolen from a flight school in Thunder Bay has finally landed in southern Missouri after over nine hours in the air.

The Cessna 172 was stolen from the Confederation College Aviation Centre of Excellence at around 2:30 p.m.

Judi Maundrell, the college's vice president of academics and student services, told tbnewswatch.com someone jumped a fence into the airfield and jumped into the aircraft, which had its keys in it.

She said the thief taxied down the runway and took off before anyone could stop them.

Two U.S. F-16 fighter jets were scrambled to intercept the plane and monitored its flight.

Mike Kucharek, spokesperson for the North American Aerospace Defence Command in Colorado, said the pilot had been flying erratically and had not communicated with the fighter pilots, who intercepted the plane at the Michigan-Wisconsin border.
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/614761

http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&cf=all&ncl=1328162784

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Not when the plane is stolen and flown across the border, with no flight plan and no communication.

Well that is how we roll in Thunder Bay. Actually, not really, but I still can't stop laughing. First I find out with have a 3D projector in the Theatre and then this, and I got some new monitors too! This day can't get any better! :p

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hey, at least they didn't crash.*

*(Unless I missed that part of the article.)

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Well that is how we roll in Thunder Bay. Actually, not really, but I still can't stop laughing. First I find out with have a 3D projector in the Theatre and then this, and I got some new monitors too! This day can't get any better! :p

do you ever listen to 91.5 CKPR?

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
do you ever listen to 91.5 CKPR?

Not really, I am quite against Dougal Media since their Rock94 station constantly plays Nickleback and says, I kidd you not, "The greatest band in Canada."

How often do you listen to CKPR and how did you find it?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Not really, I am quite against Dougal Media since their Rock94 station constantly plays Nickleback and says, I kidd you not, "The greatest band in Canada."

How often do you listen to CKPR and how did you find it?

Living in TX, i don't. But they're a client of mine (ours / the company i work for).

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Not when the plane is stolen and flown across the border, with no flight plan and no communication.

We've had a couple of incidents since the 9/11/2001 attacks of people deliberately crashing planes into buildings--once in Tampa, FL and once in Milan, Italy. Small wonder why our national defense was so nervous about this plane flying south into the USA with no flight plan.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
We've had a couple of incidents since the 9/11/2001 attacks of people deliberately crashing planes into buildings--once in Tampa, FL and once in Milan, Italy. Small wonder why our national defense was so nervous about this plane flying south into the USA with no flight plan.

and, this isn't to get racist or stereotyping, but it raises the eyebrows - the pilot is originally from Turkey. It could mean nothing, but there's more to this story I'm sure. Not saying terrorist related, but after all, the terrorist pilots of 9/11 did fly at local schools (not colleges mind you), but still.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
and, this isn't to get racist or stereotyping, but it raises the eyebrows - the pilot is originally from Turkey. It could mean nothing, but there's more to this story I'm sure. Not saying terrorist related, but after all, the terrorist pilots of 9/11 did fly at local schools (not colleges mind you), but still.

I agree.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006

He was trying to kill himself by flying into the states, nothing terrorist related at all. I don't blame him, Thunder Bay is really that crappy.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I want to know how the F16s stayed in the air, they're not very good at flying at Cessna speeds.

From the AIM, section 5-6-4, Note 2:

"If the intercepted aircraft is not able to keep pace with the intercepting aircraft, the latter is expected to fly a series of race-track patterns and to rock its wings each time it passes the intercepted aircraft."

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
According to the article, this 172 had extended range fuel tanks, so I suppose that's how he managed to keep it in the air for such a long time. Still I think the extended tanks are 52 gallons completely full, good for only 7.5 hours with careful fuel management.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
He was really good at leaning the fuel mixture? :cool:

If you lean too much the cylinders run hot, but I suppose he might not have been very concerned about the longevity of the engine. Actually the better way to extend range is to fly slow. Still -- nine hours? That's less than 6.0 GPH. Maybe it is possible, but...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
He was trying to kill himself by flying into the states, nothing terrorist related at all. I don't blame him, Thunder Bay is really that crappy.

yup. i heard that today. i believe that one only makes their city as crappy as they want it to be.

TBay is near some of the most prestine and gorgeous wilderness on this planet. If the city 'sucks', it's time to get out of it and experience what some ppl will never have the chance of experiencing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.