Someone told me iMessages is the one & only app that doesn't work abroad w/o service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Jul 30, 2013.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Im leaving the US in a few weeks and i've been told by someone repeatedly that when going abroad, my cell phone (vzw) will try to connect to available cdma networks and to best avoid this is to turn the phone in airplane mode or something and only use WiFi, and therefore allowing you to use all iPhone apps except the one that needs to "connect to iMessage network which still counts these messages as SMS."

But this confuses me cause simple iPod Touches don't connect to SMS network carrier servers.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iMessages only need an internet connection, period. When you are connected to the internet through cell networks, then and only then will the iMessage app send a text (assuming the iMessage sending failed).

3. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

iPod touch uses a different network that runs over wifi, like the ipad does

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Correct.

Unless your phone is connected to wifi, then your phone and ipod touch are using the same network. You might try this; it saves on your cellular data usage when you're home.

HappyDude20: It's real simple to try right now. Turn on Airplane mode and reenable wifi. Try sending iMessages. Have friends send you iMessages. You'll soon have your answer.

5. peaz macrumors newbie

Don't worry. As long as you have an Internet connection is WiFi or the expensive data roaming, iMessage will work. I travel a lot and iMessage has always worked well for me, both on WiFi as well as data roaming connections.

6. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I just got back from overseas and I have been using iMessage on wifi during my entire stay without any issue.

7. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

You can use iMessage without service just as long as your on Wifi

8. akasch macrumors regular

I just got back from Thailand and used my vzw phone over there. The answers here are correct, you can use iMessage on wifi. I got a message though that would say to turn on cellular to send messages but you just hit cancel and go on your way. Also it's annoying if you swipe to reply from the lock screen it would try to send as SMS and you had to hit cancel and go to the SMS app to reply

9. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Huh? If your on wifi it will send as iMessage. It will only send as SMS text if iMessage isn't unavailable for the receiver. Go to messages in the settings on your iPhone and under send read receipts you will see what I'm talking about. With that option on your iPhone the person trying to send you a iMessage if the message is unavailable to send via iMessage it will send via SMS Text to your iPhone