Someone's buying my RAM and is wondering if it's compatible with their laptop - Help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Hey guys! So here's the story. When I got my MacBook I immediately upgraded the RAM to 2 GB of Kingston RAM myself. I pulled the MacBook's RAM out and saved it for a rainy day, but now I realize that I really don't need it, so I put it up on Craigslist for $10 for anybody who wants it to upgrade an old laptop or whatever other reason.

This guy has an Inspiron 8200, which is admittedly a very old computer (I used to own one myself) and he was wondering if the RAM's compatible with his Dell. ... Well, so am I!

He helpfully emailed me a photo of his current RAM, which I've attached. From what I can tell, it's DDR1 PC2100 200-pin. The Hynix-branded RAM I'm selling is PC2-5300 200-pin, but for all intents and purposes it looks the exact same.

Is it compatible? For reference, the MacBook is one of last year's revisions, the 2.16 with the GMA950.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

95% sure that won't work. Your MacBook takes DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM while the Dell takes DDR PC2700. They look the same, but I don't think they are compatible. It might fit, but it will at best not work 100% and at worst could damage his MB.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would agree. Mac based Ram isn't the same, at least according to the Apple repair people

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Hey, iMac-Knight, grats on avatar. :D

5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

The RAM specifications between a Mac and a PC using the same chipset are exactly the same.

However, his Dell uses completely different memory; there's no way yours will work in his machine. Also, keep your own RAM in case you have to send your machine in for repair.

6. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    While the question has been answered: It won't work, I wanted to make something else clear. DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 are incompatible technologies. They mainly use different voltages but also different pin configurations. Because using two of these incompatible variants together can damage equipment, standards have made the guide slots just enough different that you will not be able to install it ( won't align ). It looks close but not enough for even 'wiggle room' to get it to install.

7. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Thank you, MacCheetah3, I didn't remember that and it's a great point.

Fo sho. Anything to keep the bug going. :)