Something happened to T-Mobile's Coverage...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Apr 2, 2013.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

So I have been back and forth between iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 over the past few months. I only used the Galaxy because I could get the full AWS support at my house on it where as I would get 3G at work I was always on Edge at home. When I heard about TMO getting tweaked iPhones I decided to wait and buy from TMO. I hate androids and tried to wait but decided to buy another iPhone 5 today deal with Edge until the 12th and then go pick up the TMO iPhone. When I got home today I was pleasantly surprised that my iPhone was on 3G and not edge. Is it possible that either TMOs coverage grew or that the unlocked iPhone I bought from apple today has already been tweaked in some way???

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

T-Mobile is in the process of refarming (converting) their current 3G network over to the 1900mhz band that the iPhone supports. Most major markets are complete and some are still being work on. It's still a work in progress and the 3G coverage is still pretty spotty at this time so for the best possible experience you would still be much better off getting the new iPhone 5 model coming next week because it will get 3G/4G HSPA+ everywhere that the rest of T-Mobile's phone lineup can get it.

3. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

I live in the Minneapolis area and we've had the reframed network since last November and it was quite large to begin with. I'm surprised that if this is just an expansion that I am experiencing that it has stretched as far into the 3rd tier suburbs now. I'm very happy now- my DL speeds are great! Nice job TMobile! I still plan to pick up the Iphone 5 from TMO only because of the price difference but it's nice that people who live near me will get to experience the benefits that hadn't before.