Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
So we all know that at least one of the iPhones is rumored to contain an embedded home button this year.
However, there's something nobody has been talking about.

Currently the camera uses a sapphire lens so that the camera sensor doesn't pick up scratches.
The home button also uses sapphire so that the fingerprint sensor doesn't pick up scratches.
If Touch ID is embedded into the display then wouldn't it need a sapphire screen to prevent scratches?

A couple years ago Apple planned on using sapphire from GT Advanced for the display.
Of course, it didn't really make much sense to use sapphire back then and obviously Apple ended up not using sapphire for the displays anyway.
However, now it would make more sense since Touch ID will now be embedded in the display.

So do you think this year Apple will finally use sapphire displays and if not then how will Apple make sure the sensor always gets an accurate reading without scratches/abrasions interfering?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm not terribly bothered by the notion that Apple will probably stay with the Gorilla glass and nothing else.

To make a sapphire protected display would drive the price up even more not to mention the production pipeline.

You can worry about it. I won't.

Last edited:

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Do we know if the finger would need to be always placed in one place or will a bigger area (maybe the whole screen) will be able to detect prints?

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I'm not terribly bothered by the notion that Apple will probably stay with the Gorilla glass and nothing else.

To make a sapphire protected display would drive the price up even more not to mention the production pipeline.

You can worry about it. I won't.
He never said or showed worry... not sure why you assumed that or where you saw it.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
He never said or showed worry... not sure why you assumed that or where you saw it.

A more correct word would have been "think".

He's not worrying about it, but clearly it's important enough for him to start a thread.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Yeah, I'm not worried about anything, I was just curious how they would prevent scratches if they don't use sapphire.
I'm not sure if gorilla glass or that "ionized" glass is durable enough since Apple still uses sapphire on the camera and home button to prevent scratches.

I guess we'll have to just wait 2.5 months to see what Apple has done with it.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
A more correct word would have been "think".

He's not worrying about it, but clearly it's important enough for him to start a thread.
Yeah, I'm not worried about anything, I was just curious how they would prevent scratches if they don't use sapphire.
I'm not sure if gorilla glass or that "ionized" glass is durable enough since Apple still uses sapphire on the camera and home button to prevent scratches.

I guess we'll have to just wait 2.5 months to see what Apple has done with it.
Agreed. If I had remembered this, I'd be curious enough to start a thread as well. It'll be interesting to see how the upgrades in gorilla glass fare against sharper and closer edges of the class to the edge of the phone.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
This worrying about scratches is overrated. If you see scratches as a major issue,there has,ever since the first iPhones,been good screen protectors,leather cases with or withouth wallet,and plastic/silicone shells available.
It's cheaper and easier to just buy a protection case for the phone instead of worrying.

robertopod1968

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2013
Gorilla glass 5 scratches easier but it is harder to break. I don't like the trade off. If I drop the phone and it break then that is on me. When it scratches by being in my pocket then that's crap.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS and ATC

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Gorilla glass 5 scratches easier but it is harder to break. I don't like the trade off. If I drop the phone and it break then that is on me. When it scratches by being in my pocket then that's crap.

I agree with your thought process, I don't think micro scratches are a big deal (you can only really see them when looking at the phone under a lamp). Whereas a small drop from 2-3 feet may not seem like a huge deal, but could be fatal for sapphire glass. 5 feet plus, you risk shattering for either glass type. To get more than that, you would have to do some serious scratching.

You need to do some serious screwing up to get more than micro scratches on gorilla glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.