Something is not right with photobooth in the new UMBP. is it me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Mar 22, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

Last year, I purchased the early 2008 macbook pro. I had a couple of problems with it such as heat, track pad, etc However, the pictures taken with photobooth were very nice and beautiful. The pictures were taken with as much quality as possible.

On February of this year, I swapped my early 2008 MBP for the new UMBP for free, without paying any extra cents. I swapped my MBP because I have sent it more than 5 times to Apple within one year for Apple repair (Trust me, if I knew at that time that a new "late MBP 2008" was going to be released, I would have waited). Now when I open photobooth and have the camera on, the quality looks uglier than the MBP. If you are in a bright area, you can still see the little balls flickering left and right. Is it because of the way the screen was made? Or is this normal?

I remember that photobooth looked way better on the MBP. On my new UMBP, it just looks like the camera has less megapixels. Is it me?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

technically they are the same. the only way to tell for sure if something is wrong is if you print out a page on both.

3. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

You know how when a tv loses signal and all you get is a flickering screen? That is how photobooth do like if my room needs more light when there is just enough.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

as i remember, you have to do settings in quicktime.

QT/ settings/record/camera/quality/nativ ..

5. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Settings in quicktime? How do I do that? I never knew that quicktime has anything to do with iSight.

6. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

as i wrote; go to qt, there you find settings ...

you have to choose also video (in the settings), there you find isight, the rest as above !

7. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

When I open quicktime, all I see is preferences and quicktime preferences. I don't see anything saying settings or any option for setting up iSight.

8. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

sorry, i mean preferences (not settings), but there you find what i wrote after "settings" ...

you open prefs window and there you find a cameraicon, click this and choose what you need.

9. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

The only icons I find is the general and Full screen tab. I don't see any camera icon. Note: I am seeing preferences from the quicktime player application.

10. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried looking everywhere and I still can't find the option to fix the iSight camera. Yikes.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm not aware of any camera adjustments in QuickTime. The only time QuickTime can really "calibrate" the iSight camera is during video iChat's through the streaming tab in System Preferences>QuickTime>Streaming Tab. Maybe that poster got confused?

12. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

So you mean there is no way I can fix this? Could I been hit with a faulty iSight camera

13. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I noticed the same thing, the Early 2008 model I used to have had way better* camera quality than the Unibody I have now. It also seems to have problems with synchronizing the "flash" (e.g. you see the flash fire but the picture is taken either too early or too late and will come out underexposed).

However, it's not so ig deal becauser I don't use the camera that often for taking pictures (it's fine for iChat use).

* depends on what's "way better" for yourself - for me this means it was sharper and not so noisy.

14. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know man.. It just doesn't feel right. I used to love the fact that when I used to take my MBP out in the backyard, or at a picnic, the pictures would be crystal clear. I never taught in my life that such a notebook can take pictures so nice. In fact, hate to say this, but the iPhone shoot better pictures than the UMBP. Sorry guys, as you can see i own a UMBP myself, it is just a harsh thing to lose such a cool feature. And if you want the proof, do a comparison with an early MBP and the UMBP. I sometimes feel that it has something to do with the way the glossy screen was made.

15. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

You go to the preferences tab in quicktime and then click on recording which brings up thhis screen, I changed it to what sascha h-k said and it makes a more clearler image on photobooth.

Attached Files:

16. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

17. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

But that's the thing, I don't see that tab. Tihs is what I do, I go to quicktime, click preferences, and all I see is the first two General, and full screen.

18. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

maybe it only works on Quick Time Pro? I've got Pro... what about you sascha h-k?

19. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

ah, you see. I don't have quicktime pro. There has to be a way to configure the iSight camera. I don't think I should pay for quicktime pro to fix the iSight camera. Any other suggestrions?