Something new again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pjr772, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Pjr772 macrumors member

Not sure why I keep getting new things in settings but this showed up yesterday and hasn't gone away like the carrier setting did. Never used my phone as a hotspot. Have three other iPhones in my house and they don't have it. Anyone else have this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342530389.816551.jpg

2. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Welcome to updating your OS. This became available with iOS5. (if I am not mistaken). Everyone who updated their OS has it.

3. chokem macrumors 6502

4. cynics macrumors G3

Verizon 4S on 5.1.1 and I don't have that. Nor do I have the carrier option some people get on occasion.

[​IMG]

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

AT&T 4S with 5.1.1 and I don't have it.

My wifes has an iPhone 4 with 5.1.1 and she has it.

EDIT: If I go under "NETWORK" there is a "Set Up Personal Hotspot" button. Not sure if I go through with it, if it will add the hotspot option.

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

I have it as well, but I thought it was because of my Jailbreak.

7. Pjr772 thread starter macrumors member

I have 5.1.1 as do the other three iPhones I have 2 are 4's and 2 are 4s's. I am the only one who has this. The only thing I can think of is I am on Verizon and recently switched to the family share plan which if I read the contract correctly allows me to use my phone as a hotspot for no additional cost as long as I stay within my allotted monthly gb allowance. Just a thought but it still doesn't explain why I am the only one on my plan who has it.

8. Pjr772 thread starter macrumors member

I update my phones the moment the updates become available. Pretty sure I would have seen it before. I am constantly messing with settings and what not

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sounds like that's your answer.

if you've updated your plan to the new "share everything" plan, you get wifi hotspot tethering (whatever you want to call it) as part of your plan. How many GB did you buy to share amongst your 4 phones? Assuming you got a subsidized price on your phone purchase also?

10. Pjr772 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, must be from the plan update. I went with the 8gb a month to start, can always add if I se the need. Based on what our usage has been in the past it should be more than enough. My wife and kids are on wifi most of the time and I'm only on it at night when I'm home so we should be good.

I already had all four phones on the plan so I just changed the plans. Phones were subsidized from the original plan. For all the negative I was hearing about the share everything plan it is actually saving me about 20% so I have no complaints. Everything except data is still unlimited and as long as I don't go over its all good

11. aztooh macrumors 6502a

How does your foot taste?

OP, maybe only your phone has it because it's the main line on the account? I'd call and check on that, because what if you're not home and someone wants to tether a device?

12. Pjr772 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll do that. Sure would make the iPads a little more useful away from home

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'm still laughing...

14. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Well played!!! :D

15. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

This isn't new. My unlocked 3gs on 4.3.3 has it.

photo.PNG

16. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Not quite sure what that means, but I have had that option available ever since I upgraded to iOS5. As I said in my post "unless I am mistaken" this generally allows for some room for error. I haven't switched it to a main line, a family share or any such things.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I've had that option for as long as I can remember, along with the "Carrier" option.

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Never heard the old saying "i put my foot in my mouth"? All in good fun, no harm meant.

As others have mentioned, and from my own experience, having that hotspot option isn't there for everyone...so it's not there simply by having iOS 5.