Something to Think About.Apple Watch 2 is bound to have touchiD included right in.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iFanaddic, Apr 17, 2015.

1. iFanaddic, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Touchid has changed our lives and the way most people go about security.

Apple Watch clearly aims for a big market of "Remote Controlling Stuff"

1+1....

Now imagine unlocking your home by putting your finger on the Digital Crown. Much like we do with Apple Pay on our iPhone.. but for everything.

App makers already got a head start and are creating amazing remotes and controls, but the security is lacking, (passwords is pretty much the only security you'll have on the watch at this time, witch sucks..) We may be able to have it linked to the iPhone now for the added security, however, as Apple allows third party app makers to install apps directly on the watch (usable without iPhone) someone who steals your Apple Watch would then be able to unlock your cars, our fronts doors and use credit cards.

My conclusion. If the :apple: Watch even aspires at becoming a "standalone" devices. It's gonna have to be more secure than it is now.

Hence, touchID ladies and gentlemen. Seems like the next logical step to me right? Food for thoughts?

2. dilap macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong, but I think it uses skin contacts to check your wrists, hence no need for TouchID

3. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

All I want is for my watch to arrive on Friday and have that damn processing items change to preparing for shipment. Uhh

4. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Yes, it relies on your phone for authentication, and cancels authorization if you take it off.

5. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Edited the text just now.

"We may be able to have it linked to the iPhone now for the added security, however, as Apple allows third party app makers to install apps directly on the watch (usable without iPhone) someone who steals your Apple Watch would then be able to unlock your cars, our fronts doors and use credit cards. "

6. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Why do you assume that these third party apps would not use authentication features?

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It doesn't have a fingerprint reader. No TouchID.

8. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I'm not sure I understand which authentification features the watch provides, on it's own.

----------

I'm talking about at some point not this generation, sorry made thread clearer.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This is correct. Touch ID for the watch would be cumbersome to say the least.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

11. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Last edited by iFanaddic; Today at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added precision that im talking about future generations

12. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

It doesn't provide authentication on its own (except for a passcode, I guess), but any theoretical third-party apps that accessed important things like locks, etc. would require authentication via the phone, no?

That's not to say that future models of the watch might not incorporate more authentication, but I don't think your scenario of someone taking your watch and accessing important things is something to get upset about, since it's pretty easily avoided by just requiring authentication, just as Apple Pay does.

13. sterl320 macrumors 6502

But seeing that it needs a paired phone to actually do any of that stuff, the thief would need both the watch and the phone.

14. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Oh I agree with you, identifying myself would be much easier with the flick of the wrist, but I don't think Apple is about to let 3rd parties play with the iPhones nfc capabilities. I think touchid is more probable, but I may be wrong.

15. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

NFC isn't used for the authentication part of Apple Pay though -- by which I mean the part where you scan your fingerprint to enable Apple Pay use. That's what I think third parties could use.

16. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I get you, however that means taking out your iPhone just to scan your finger.
    This is exactly the type of annoying "taking you phone out of your pocket for no reason experience" that Apple Watch aims to eliminate. True or not?

----------

And that might just be the way Apple does it on :apple: Watch

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, they'll allow third parties to use the iPhone NFC capabilities as long as it's in the context of Apple Pay, but I assume you mean outside of Apple Pay.

Chase is demoing ATM withdrawal via iPhone/Apple Pay.

18. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

yes, outside of Apple pay

19. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

When you put your phone on your wrist, you enter a passcode. As long as the watch is on your wrist, you can use any of its features. If you remove the watch from your wrist, it requires the passcode again. So a thief would need three things in order to do anything important with your watch:

Your watch
    Your watch's passcode
    Your phone

The only exception would be Apple Pay, which can be done without the phone, but still requires the passcode once the watch is taken off your wrist. I think your fears are a bit exaggerated.

20. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

But if Apple incorporates fingerprint recognition into the touch screen, like they're trying to patent, wouldn't that be more secure?

21. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Sure, of course a fingerprint is going to be more secure than a 4 digit code, for the sheer fact that you can't guess a fingerprint.

But thinking about the implementation cost of the two, a passcode is *far* easier, especially when they already have a passcode control in there for Apple Pay.

22. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Sure, but I wouldn't expect it in v2 to be honest. I think what they have now is a reasonable compromise.

23. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Is it wrong to dream? Look at the leap between the original iPhone and the 3G. iPad 1 and iPad 2...

24. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Is it wrong to dream? No, it's not wrong to dream, but I don't think it's likely the gen 2 watch will have TouchID built in. I could be wrong of course.