Sonia Manzano (Maria on Sesame Street) to retire

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AustinIllini, Jul 1, 2015.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

IIRC, outside of Big Bird, wasn't she the last original member of that cast? Either way, she started on the show 4 years before I was born, and shaped almost as many lives as Henson. Absolutely irreplaceable.

So now how will we solve a problem like Maria? :oops:

BL.

3. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

So, as far as I can tell, Bob McGrath is the only more senior member. It's truly incredible how Sesame Street continues to introduce fresh characters.

Edit: The actress who plays Susan is also from the original cast. Gordon, however, was replaced early on.

4. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

My two children were avid viewers and I believe they learned a lot from the show.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I heard about this on the radio last week. The hosts were commenting on the range of people whom "Maria" has impacted. If you think of parents and grandparents from 45 years ago to young children today then her sphere of influence ranges from current 2-3 year olds all the way to people in their 80's-90's. That's pretty incredible.

6. SoOrdered macrumors newbie

SoOrdered

So sad! Thanks for this post! I actually cannot believe she's still on there! I'm realizing how fast time flies and how much things change forever. I need to make time to sit and watch a couple episodes before she's gone. :)

7. JerryGarciaBandFan macrumors newbie

Sad day for TV. So many children have grown up with her and the rest of the gang.