Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Well, I just finished spending 14 hours straight of giving my good ol' G4 400 PCI the royal treatment for the first time in 3 years. I gave it a good clean-out with compressed air, installed a new 120GB ATA/100 with a Tempo ATA/100 card, wiped my old 20GB drive and eliminated the OS 9 and OS X partitions, and did a fresh install of all the systems and programs.)

Then the problems started happening. Basically, after hours of troubleshooting and frustration, I was able to pinpoint the problem down to the new Sonnet Tempo ATA/100 card I had JUST purchased. I figured updating the firmware would take care of any incompatibilities, right? Wrong. 10.2 dosen't play nice with that card, and before I knew what was happening my computer had been reduced to a fit of Kernel Panics, crashes and freezes. (My first kernel panic! Woohoo, finally! :D )

The problem only occurred when trying to boot from my 120GB drive through the card's bus instead of the internal bus. As long as I'm booted through my G4's internal ATA/33 bus, I'm fine. But that defeats the purpose of why I got this card in the first place! :mad:

I thought I was the only one with this problem, until I finally came across an article over at xl48yourmac.com:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/stories/S14325.html

I let them know I was also having this problem. Does anyone else have this configuration and are having this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.