Sonnet upgrades?

neXus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2002
8
0
im planning on upgrading my machine with a sonnet duet card but im wondering if i should wait until they come out witha faster card. i mean the dual 500's would be peppy but its a bit old considering what apple puts out now. does anyone know of any possible speed bumps from sonnet? thanks!
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,656
0
Kent, UK
i can't remember where i read it, but i remember something about sonnet having technical difficulties in getting their upgrade cards to run at anything above 500Mhz. They've been at that speed for quite a while now.

If you're looking for something faster, you may be waiting for a long time.
 

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
880
0
UK
Cost of G4 chips above 500MHz

...is supposed to be prohibitive to upgrade makers coming out with anything over a 500MHz chip.

I read somwhere that they now have to be bought in far larger numbers from Moto than in the past, and this is where a large part of the problem stems from.

Another case of Apple screwing the upgrade-makers.
 

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
3,100
0
what wrong with the dual 500
its probably faster than the one you have now and if your in OS X
its gonna go off
and if you use photoshop or some other DP supportive app it will rock
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Shame they don't design a dual 500Mhz card for the TiBook....

I'd buy one!!!!:D
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
neXus, what are you upgrading from?? That would help us to determine if it will be worth it for you. If you have an AGP graphic tower, then also do the following... Max out the RAM, upgrade the video card to at least the Mac edition Radeon card (if not the 7000 or 8500). Also consider getting an ATA133 controller card and getting a newer, larger hard drive (something in ATA100 or 133). All of that combined will give you a larger boost in performace, along with the processor upgrade.

As for getting the dual upgrade, call Sonnet, see if they anything faster in the works. Pose it as a resolution to a discussion you are having (not that you are looking to buy now). That way, they will be more inclined to be honest with you. Who knows, they might be working on a dual 800MHz upgrade :D.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by iGAV
Shame they don't design a dual 500Mhz card for the TiBook....

I'd buy one!!!!:D
They would have to ship that one with pot holders (the cooking kind ;) ) to protect your hands from the heat.

Oh yeah, the TiBook processor cannot be upgraded. It is part of the logic board as is the video card. I know, it sucks since they did make the G3 powerbooks so that you could upgrade them later.
 

neXus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2002
8
0
heh

heh actually id be upgrading my 500 cube, ive seen people do the dual sonnet card in cubes before and i already have the fan in there.
 

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
1,074
0
you make me feel like an amatuer (or at least broke) I did an upgrade zif and it rocks....one of them will have a 600 upgrade soon (& I thought it was sonnet)