Son's 4th Birthday Gift Skateboard or Bike? Outdoor Parents

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jmona, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Jmona macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Hey guys!
    So my sons both of them have birthdays on August and so do I.
    My oldest just turned 9 and my littlest Skywalker is turning 4 just two days before my birthday.
    My oldest recently got his bike stolen so we went to REI to pick up a new one and surprised him yesterday since yesterday was his birthday.
    However, the little one who has a very more "trouble is my middle name" kind of attitude (in a funny way btw) he has a scooter.
    The problem I'm having is, I'm at a crossroads trying to decide what get him.
    It's time for him to "graduate" to a Skateboard since the little guy flies on his scooter like a champ, but at the same time he is also ready for a bike.
    What should I do?
    Bike or Skateboard? I'd like to get both but I can't.
    I just recently paid my last 3 chemotherapy infusions copays since I just started a new drug and was forced to stop chemo and that left me with only enough for one gift.
    If I buy his bike from REI I'll get him a good one but if I get one from sporting goods or walmart then I'll probably wind up buying both because REI is a little pricier.
    And if Skateboard, he needs a size 6.75" however I know nothing about the newest best brands for kids so if you happen to know please advice if you can?
    My husband wanted to get him a Snowboard but given that we're off riding season as well, he won't be able to enjoy it either so that'll have to wait for Christmas.
    Thanks so much for helping me decide!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since you list getting both from a cheaper place as an option I'd say go with that. For a bike he'll probably outgrow it before too long at that age anyway, so it might not be a bad thing to go with a cheaper one so you can afford both.

3. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

I'm waiting for the stores to open so I can go check them out. I know I don't want to buy him a cheap Skateboard though since those last for years and he'll be at least 10 by the time he needs a new one and when it comes to the deck you definitely want a good one. I'll keep you all posted.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Get a second hand bike. At that age they grow so fast, they don't wear out. With the money you save, you might get both.
    My daughter never took to bikes. She hates the outdoors anyway. I bought her 3, then decided enough was enough. She's never going to learn!

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

6. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Well. We did a little recon today and he loved this Novara from REI.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think we're getting it tomorrow since our dividend came in and pretty much all we have to pay is tax, plus we've got a 20% coupon that came with our dividend so we're getting a heck of a deal on a $150 bike! Which means we're also getting the skateboard!
    However since he is still too little we are buying a 7" deck that is StarWars theme with Luke Skywalker since my sons nickname name is Skywalker and he's the biggest Star Wars fan.
    [​IMG]
    The guys at Hoyal know us since that's where we buy our Snowboarding Gear from time to time and on top of that I'm getting a 10% Military Discount so I'll be paying about $105.00 all together with tax included for a complete skateboard package.

Of course since it's a big enough deck, we'll be able to use it. Sadly they are sold out on mini decks and well this one will last for a long time. He can grow in to it and won't need another one unless he breaks it but we figure this one will last a few years at the very least.
    What do you guys think?
    I didn't realize we had a huge dividend until this afternoon that we got our mail and it came in.
    Pays off being an REI Member.
    http://hoyalboardco.com/skate/decks/santa-cruz/star-wars-luke-skywalker-deck-7.8-pid-14809

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sounds like everything is working out well. Those REI dividends are always nice, my membership has paid for itself many times over.

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Wow, that happy face in the first photo! :)

9. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I think you are dialed in, go for it.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Looks like you picked a winner Jmona.

11. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

My oldest (8) loves his mountain bike we do a lot of mountain biking together. My other boy is 2 and has his first balance bike but he doesn't really like it that much but there is plenty of time.

Your boy looks delighted with his bike!

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Mountain biking is fun in the hills, only thing better is running in the hills.

13. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

I am an avid hill runner, not long back from running the UK's second highest mountain.... Although that is probably just a small lump compared to some of the hills in the U.S.

14. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

We're from Colorado so we do a lot of back packing, Mountain biking and camping so It's Mountain Bikes for us. :) I am actually getting a new Diamond Back as well for my birthday which is 2 days after my littlest man the week after next. :D I have a cruiser that I'm going to give away to a neighbor that she's had her eyes on since I bough it last year but since it's a cruiser, and I need a mountain bike gears and all, I'll just bring her the bike as soon as I get my Diamond Back. Needless to say that bike is brand new. Haven't found the time to use it since I have been undergoing treatment, so I'm sure she'll find good use for it. :)

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sorry to put a damper on this otherwise happy thread and I'm really glad you were able to get your son a great gift, but man, this pisses me off to no end. No one should ever have to choose between paying for medical bills or gifts for their children. You pay your premiums every month, you should be 100% covered. Co-pays are a sack of BS. So sick of the private insurance industry in our country. It's a scam. Single payer universal healthcare for all, like every other civilized western nation. /end rant

16. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Update guys.
    The day has arrived!
    Birthday boy is getting his bike tomorrow. We're taking him out to eat, then come home for birthday cake and proceeding with the new bike. I'm excited. Ugh. Why do they have to grow up the little smartmasses?! Here he is last night before going to bed. We've got a tradition of photos the day before birthdays. and before you ask about his eyes, he is heterochromic. Has heterochromia iridium since he was born. Meaning, his eyes change color with his mood or his clothing all because of melanin or lack thereof. If all of you only knew half about this little guy. He is part of the reason why I'm still alive right now. He was born at merely 35 weeks. Only survivor of triplets and on top of that, the blood we shared through his umbilical cord literally saved my life. We didn't know I had Lupus and during my 7th month of pregnancy lupus invaded my heart causing severe heart failure and cardiomyopathy to which the doctors said I wasn't going to make it. Unbelievable that the connection of a mom with her baby is what actually kept my heart beating. The blood going through the umbilical cord continued to protect my heart from getting more damaged and if it wouldn't have been for that alone I wouldn't have made it at all. I missed the entire first 3.5 months of his life since I was put in the ICU unable to see him nor touch him. Most incredibly trying time in my entire life. I wasn't supposed to make it but because of him quite literally I did. I owe this little guy much more than just the privilege of being his mom.[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can't express how grateful I am for each and every reply helping me make the best decision! I truly can't wait for him to try his new bike. I'll post an update tomorrow once he's on his bike. I gathered you all would like to see it!

17. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

This bothered me too. I instantly thought to myself "how can I forward this person $100 so they can get their kids the gifts they deserve?" Glad it worked out! :)

18. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

He absolutely LOVES his bike!
    Here he is![​IMG] The 3 men that make my heart skip!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Now he is outside learning with his brother and his friends! Dad is helping of course. It's been such a great day. I thought you'd like to see his sweet smile!

19. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Thanks so much for your kindness! But in all honesty even if you would've offered I would've respectfully declined. We had the money set aside for either one or two gifts and we ultimately decided to skip on the skateboard for a couple more years so we got him the best bike we could get him at REI. We get lots of money back from our purchase on our dividend anyways and have great warranty. He is out there so excited right now. UGH. Why must they grow?

20. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Enjoy them at this age, my grandson just got his driver's permit! Lord!

21. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Very glad to hear it! I think a bike is a better choice at that age, anyways. Good job, mom! ;)

22. Jmona thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Here ha go guys! Since this girl has a birthday tomorrow, husband just surprised me and got me the skateboard.[​IMG]