Sony beats Apple w/ new DVD-RW NB.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
253
1
Dallas, TX
Sony is actually announcing three desktop replacement notebooks with built-in DVD-RW drives. The 8.4-pound GRX690 (approximately $2,800) incorporates a 16.1-inch UXGA LCD, 512MB of RAM, and a 60GB hard drive. The 8.4-pound GRX670 (approximately $2,500) has the same amount of RAM and the same screen size as the GRX690, but comes with a 40GB hard drive. Notebooks in the NZ200 Series are made-to-order units that have 15-inch XSGA screens, weigh roughly 8.6 pounds and start at $1,500. All run the 2-GHz Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M except the customizable systems, which are available in speeds ranging from 1.7 GHz to 2 GHz.

Sony also used the hardware announcement as an opportunity to showcase its new one-click DVD-creation software, Click to DVD.


Internal removable DVD-RW / CD-RW drive:

(CD-ROM read 24x max; CD-RW read 12x max; CD-R write 16x max; CD-RW write 10x max; DVD-ROM read 8x max; DVD-R/RW read 4x max; DVD-R/RW write 1x max)




Vaio Specs

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,562530,00.asp?kc=PCTH102099TX1K0100488
 

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
538
0
1 GHz denotes microprocessor internal clock speed; other factors may affect application performance. CPU speed will be reduced under certain operating conditions.
Anyway, I'd like to see this "Click to DVD" software... It can't be as elegant as iDVD since it's running under Windows, which is just a big mess at the core. But anyway, isn't it about time Apple releases iDVD 3?
 

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
2,046
0
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by dricci


Anyway, I'd like to see this "Click to DVD" software... It can't be as elegant as iDVD since it's running under Windows, which is just a big mess at the core. But anyway, isn't it about time Apple releases iDVD 3?
No, it's about time that they release iMovie 3. But that's beside the point. The point is, that Apple missed a chance to make another 'first.' I have a question though, is the sony a superdrive? I mean does it burn cds also. Sorry I don't have time right now to read the article.

P-Worm
 

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
522
1
iDVD 3 w/ announcement of new Powerbooks?

Since Apple often bundles drive support with their iApps (most notably, iTunes), maybe they're waiting to announce iDVD 3 and PowerBooks with CD-RW drives together.

Or... maybe that Sony is a bit thicker than the 1 inch PowerBook and CD-RW drives that fit a larger enclosure are more available.
 

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
1,519
1
Carson City, NV
..ironic..

Sony belongs to both the DVD consortium which publishes the DVD-RW standard and the DVD+RW standards body. Nice to see that they are using somebody elses notebook DVD-RW drive. They seem to be covering both bases.
 

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
10,288
0
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: ..ironic..

Originally posted by TMay
Sony belongs to both the DVD consortium which publishes the DVD-RW standard and the DVD+RW standards body. Nice to see that they are using somebody elses notebook DVD-RW drive. They seem to be covering both bases.

They also will release a combo DVD-/+RW drive in November that will burn DVD-Rs at 4x, DVD-RWs at 2x (I think) and DVD+R/RWs at 2.4x.
Neato.
:cool:
 

Haberdasher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
142
0
Los Angeles, CA
Have you seen the ad for their DVD editor?

While I wretched at thought of using the editor itself, I did laugh when I looked at the ad itself-a kid makes a DVD for a family reunion, and when he makes it the father crys a lot and hugs his son, who basically just gets really embarrased. But when they show it at the reunion, the dad gets even more teary eyed, but the son won't give him a hug in front of everyone, so the dad has to randomly hug and cry with a lot of other family members.

Funny. :D
 

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
1,379
87
Originally posted by Haberdasher
Have you seen the ad for their DVD editor?

While I wretched at thought of using the editor itself, I did laugh when I looked at the ad itself-a kid makes a DVD for a family reunion, and when he makes it the father crys a lot and hugs his son, who basically just gets really embarrased. But when they show it at the reunion, the dad gets even more teary eyed, but the son won't give him a hug in front of everyone, so the dad has to randomly hug and cry with a lot of other family members.

Funny. :D
Yea I laughed a few times too, good ad. I wish Apple would get off the high and mighty clean and elegant simplicity ads and make real ones like this one. The iDVD spot was the best thev'e done.
 

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
1,653
4
State of Denial
Originally posted by Kid Red


Yea I laughed a few times too, good ad. I wish Apple would get off the high and mighty clean and elegant simplicity ads and make real ones like this one. The iDVD spot was the best thev'e done.
I don't know... the "Rip. Mix. Burn." ads, especially the long one, were pretty good.
 

TheFink

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2002
39
0
At almost 9 pounds, not only will it toast your balls, it will crush them as well.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,408
0
VA
Re: Sony beats Apple w/ new DVD-RW notebook.

Originally posted by peter2002
8.6 pounds
Sony Corp. announced today that they had given birth to a 8.6 pound 16.1" 'baby'. A spokesman for Sony said that new arrival had a street value of almost $3000......
 

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
175
0
DC
with this realease of thie sony with dvdr - we can expect to see the tibook with one soon. It would have been nice to have it first on the apple side but o well.

I wouldnt mind seeing a new desing on the new tibooks also.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Dont they also need to be plugged into the power to be able to use the DVD Writer? Thats what I heard.