Sony Bravia 32"....can I use it as a Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Joeytpg, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

hi guys, just got this TV as present and I was wondering if could hook up my Macbook to it and use it as a Monitor?

what would I need to get this working? HD cable? what?

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Yup! You need to get a Mini-DVI cable to DVI then a DVI-D cable to HDMI. Mini-DVI is the port that the MacBook uses. If you want clarity get the HDMI cable, cause there are other ways of doing this, but i just recently did the same to my HDTV. ITS BRILLIANT!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=493204

This was my question, you can get everything that you need to hook it up for under $21 too!

If you need more help just ask

3. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

nice man!...thanks a lot.

How's the image quality? regular-computer-display's quality?

Do you have any screenshot of pictures??? :)

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I have to say its pretty damn nice, much better than using normal RCA cables. I have been watching many movies i have downloaded and its awesome. I'll see if i can get any screenshots up for you.

5. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

thank you man, I'll be waiting.

Do you use the tv only to watch tv or as a display for normal computer tasks?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this Bravia a 720p still, or did they change the 32" to a 1080p screen? Either way, remember, a 720p screen has a native resolution of 1366x768 and a 1080p has ... 1920x1080 I think when used with a computer. The pixel density (PPI or DPI) is much, much lower than any computer display is -- for reference, the smaller 30" LCD displays such as the ACD 30" are 2560x1600 -- that's twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen and and almost four times as many as a 720p screen....

If you look up close it, computer graphics will be grainy on it. If you're sitting on the couch, though, they look amazing.

7. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Here they are. May i NOTE that DVI doesn't carry over audio, so you will have to supply your own means of audio, by connecting it to speakers or by a stereo, but if you don't need sound you can just use your MacBooks audio.

Attached Files:

8. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

My roommate in college had this set up on a 32" toshiba.
    It was a kind of all-in-one for a Mac Mini, PS3 and TV watching.
    1080 is great for the computer resolution, but for TV/games, from what I read, you can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 until you hit 42".
    But you can't always trust what you read.... Either way, enjoy, I think you're gonna dig it.

9. cipsit macrumors newbie

wirelessly

Guys
    Can you do this wirelessly with Imac and new Bravia internet Tvs??