Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
FOSTER CITY and LOS GATOS, Calif., October 26, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) and Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] today announced that they are joining forces to make thousands of movies and TV episodes from Netflix available to be streamed instantly to TVs via the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. Netflix expects to begin streaming via the PS3 system next month at no additional cost to Netflix members in the United States who have a PS3 system.

Today’s announcement pairs two of the most popular and fastest growing home entertainment brands in the U.S. The PS3 system’s installed base has reached close to 9 million units in the United States, and Netflix recently reported 11.1 million U.S. subscribers as of September 30.

The partnership further solidifies the PS3 system as the most complete home entertainment hub on the market today, enabling consumers to play high-definition games, watch Blu-ray movies, listen to music, view photos, browse the Internet, and download content from PlayStation®Network − from exclusive games to blockbuster movies and popular TV shows. PS3 system owners will soon enjoy an unparalleled experience watching their favorite movies and TV shows streamed instantly from Netflix, downloading from the PlayStation Network or watching Blu-ray/DVD media. The Netflix offering expands on the entertainment experience delivered to PS3 system owners via PlayStation Network.

For only $8.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed to their TVs and computers via Netflix ready devices such as the PS3 system and can receive unlimited DVDs delivered quickly to their homes.

“The PlayStation 3 system has always been about more than just gaming, and it will soon be the only platform in the industry to offer consumers such a variety of convenient options for enjoying movies and TV shows,” said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. “Whether you want to watch content on Blu-ray disc and DVD, download it from the PlayStation Network’s video delivery service, or stream videos instantly from Netflix, the PS3 system is the only solution that offers it all.”

“As instantly watching movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix becomes an increasingly popular way to enjoy the Netflix service, our goal is to rapidly expand the devices that stream to our members,” said Netflix CEO and co-founder Reed Hastings. “As a leading game console and Blu-ray disc player, bringing Netflix to the PS3 system is a real win for both Netflix members and PS3 system owners.”

Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members. The free instant streaming disc leverages Blu-ray’s BD-Live™ technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Netflix members simply slide the disc into their PS3 systems to reveal movies and TV episodes that can be watched instantly. These titles are conveniently organized into a variety of categories based on members’ personal preferences, popular genres, new arrivals and members’ individual instant Queues. Members can use the Netflix Web site or navigate directly on their PS3 systems to add movies and TV shows to their Queues. With the PS3 system’s Wireless Controller, members can choose a movie to watch from their instant Queues or just play directly from any of the lists. They also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of fast-forwarding and rewinding the video stream via the Wireless Controller.

Netflix members and PS3 system owners can now reserve a free instant streaming disc for PS3 systems by going to http://www.netflix.com/ps3. Upon availability, the instant streaming disc will be delivered for free by first-class mail, generally one business day after members request it.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one® game consoles, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, the ground-breaking PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system and its digital services which include the PlayStation®Network and the PlayStation®Store.

Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one® game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, and the PlayStation 3 and PSP systems for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif., Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

About Netflix, Inc.

Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) is the world’s largest online movie rental service, with more than more than 11 million subscribers. For only $8.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed to their TVs and computers and can receive unlimited DVDs delivered quickly to their homes. There are never any due dates or late fees. Netflix members can exchange DVDs as often as they want using a postage-paid return envelope. Members can choose from a vast selection of DVD titles and a growing library of movies and TV episodes that can be watched instantly. Netflix is partnering with leaders in consumer electronics to bring to market a range of devices that can instantly stream movies and TV episodes from Netflix directly to members’ TVs. These devices currently include Blu-ray disc players and new Internet TVs from LG Electronics; Blu-ray disc players from Samsung and Best Buy’s Insignia brand; the Roku digital video player; Microsoft’s Xbox 360 game console; TiVo digital video recorders; and, soon, the PS3 system and Internet TVs from Sony and VIZIO.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/netflix-coming-soon-to-playstation-3/

Thank you, Sony. No gold membership required either.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Bout time although im still wondering how the setup will be like as of now I like Lives NGE experince to view is verry nice and its weird that doesnt mention anything about HD but im still gonna try this thing out.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Awesome news for PS3 owners! Go to http://www.netflix.com/ps3 to reserve your netflix streaming disc.

So does anyone know if the streaming disc needs to be in the machine every time you want to watch a movie? Or is it just a software updater? I know it is going to use the BD Live feature to activate, but I haven't heard any other details.
:D:D

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Hooray! Probably coming to Europe in Summer 2012! :rolleyes:

Good for Sony though. They're really gearing up for this holiday season - good exclusives, price drop, good marketing campaign, now Netflix...I have a feeling some key positions in the playstation division were replaced at some point this year. Sadly, it seems like they didn't just fire all the stupid people they replaced, but put them in charge of the PSP Go program. :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Don't even go there Sad Canadian Panda! Us poor old leprechaun hugging ginger freaks are left even further out in the cold :D We can't even get Lucky Charms here :D :p

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Don't fret my Canadian bacon eating friend..

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20055.cfm

What I'm liking about this is its free for all existing members and the database looks to be complete with Sony Pictures being added once more...Looks like MS will be forced to open up NetFlicks to silver members.

Besides us Island native hut living barefoot walking ganja smoking folks NEVER GET ANYTHING!

Bless

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I do think the having to wait on a install disc is rather odd. Why not just put Netfix in the store? Or better yet throw it in the next firmware release. No mention if these are going to be in HD either and whether a party mode (like the 360's Netflix Party) will be available at some point.

On second thought,

"Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members. The free instant streaming disc leverages Blu-ray’s BD-Live™ technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet."

Looks like intially is the key word.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Glory glory hallelujah.

I sold my Apple TV a couple of months ago for $200 - and that decision has now been validated by this. I cannot wait!

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Looks like intially is the key word.

Looks like it. From the Ars Technica post regarding the news:
"Netflix members and PS3 owners have really wanted a way to instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system. The instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let them so this," Garrity told Ars. "Late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network."

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Looks like it. From the Ars Technica post regarding the news:

Ouch. Late 2010. That sucks. I wonder if it's Microsoft's exclusivity or Sony engineers taking forever to create the application?

Unlimited physical DVD's mailed and unlimited streamed movies all for $8.99? That doesn't sound very profitable.... Interesting.

Good news for PS3 owners, though. The PS3 is approaching feature parity with the 360.

Well, it's more like 1 DVD per week at $8.99 provided you mail it back promptly. So, it's not all that bad. I usually mail my Netflix DVDs back the very next day after I receive them and I've only managed to get up to 2 on a good week. And they charge $2 extra for Blu-ray discs now. They'll probably add a nominal charge for streaming soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Netflix customers only really receive 1 or 2 DVDs per DVD on their monthly plan, if that.

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
I have a a PS3 and have Netflix. To my understanding, the PS3 will allow you to stream the HD instant catalog straight to your TV. and you will be able to manage your account from your PS3 as well.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Joystiq: Was the PS3 application developed internally by Netflix?

Netflix: Yes, with the help of the Sony team.

Can the Netflix application be installed to the PS3 hard dive from the disc? Or must the disc be inserted every time a user wants to access Netflix?

Yes, the Netflix disc has to be inserted every time to access the Netflix service.

Why a disc-based application and not streaming access through the PS3 browser?

Netflix members and PS3 owners have really wanted a way to instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system. The instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let them do this.

Why not distribute the application via PSN download or firmware update, and then embed it into the XMB?

Again, the instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let PS3 enthusiasts get Netflix on the PS3. Late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.

Is releasing the PS3 application on a disc required by an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft?

The Netflix agreement with Sony for PS3 is consistent with the terms of our partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360. Our goal is to give members the opportunity to instantly watch movies streamed from Netflix via the widest variety of Netflix ready devices. All of our partners are aware of our goal.

Is any new content being added to the Netlfix streaming catalog alongside this announcement?

We are constantly adding content to better serve our members, however we did not announce new content alongside the PS3 announcement.

Can users search the entire Netflix streaming library from the PS3? (On Xbox 360, browsing is currently limited to 100-movie categories.)

Similar to Xbox, subscribers can search lists of movies in categories such as New Releases, Drama, Action, Comedy, etc., and will have access to the entire library available to watch instantly.

Will special features typically found on DVD and Blu-ray discs (e.g., additional audio tracks, director commentary, etc.) be available through the PS3 application?

No.

Is there any difference between the content catalog available on PS3 versus Xbox 360?

No.

Does the PS3 application include any features that aren't in the Xbox 360 application?

No.

Are there more features being planned for a future update?

Again, late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.

Finally, what's the update on a Netflix application for Wii?

Certainly, the Wii represents a great opportunity given the size of its installed base, but we have nothing specific to say about it at this point. The Xbox partnership has been terrific for Netflix members, and we're equally excited to announce the partnership with PS3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/26/netflix-ps3-disc-must-remain-in-system-until-2010-update/

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
The PS3 is approaching feature parity with the 360.
Perhaps as far as firmware is concerned. The ps3 easily bests the 360 with hardware features though. The good thing for ps3 owners is that free updates can give more software abilities, but for the 360 to get features the ps3 has you must go buy addons.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I got my Netflix disc friday, took about 1 minute to setup.

Interface is about what I expected, it works well. I'm really happy to finally have netflix streaming on my main tv and not have to connect my computer.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I got my Netflix disc friday, took about 1 minute to setup.

Interface is about what I expected, it works well. I'm really happy to finally have netflix streaming on my main tv and not have to connect my computer.

Got mine also. The interface is essentially the same interface you get on Blu-ray players and the ROKU. Unfortunately, it doesn’t allow you browse the top 100 movies in each category like the 360.

Here’s to hoping Sony’s integrated design is better.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For those of you who received your Netflix disc does the internet connection speed affect playback? My PS3 is currently connected with a wireless G connection. I'm going to assume that HD content would not play smoothly at this speed. How's it working out for you who have it?

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
For those of you who received your Netflix disc does the internet connection speed affect playback? My PS3 is currently connected with a wireless G connection. I'm going to assume that HD content would not play smoothly at this speed. How's it working out for you who have it?

It'll play just fine. I know for a fact the HD Roku HD streams max out at 3.8Mbps. I'm assuming the the PS3 streams are either the exact same, or similar. Wireless G can support ~14-15Mbps without too much of a problem.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I would like to say that I've been using the Netflix PS3 disc for almost 2 weeks now and I love it! It's everything I was hoping it would be.

By the way, my network is setup as a wireless N network, and I get DVD quality streams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.