Sony suffers a minor setback/MS gains an arguably might-be-large-but-maybe-not win

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Jul 14, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

FFXIII is coming to the 360 according to the MS E3 conference.

Megaton announcement!

edit: A NeoGaf poster made a good point, there is no mention of the game on 360 is Japan, only NA/Europe. Sony is keeping it the their homeland?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I saw it coming when that dude walked back onstage...LOL funny. This will have the fanboys going nuts for months...now We'll have to wait and see whats Sony next move.

The way the dude at SE put it....looks like Sony gets 1st dibs on it though and the other titles aren't exclusive.

MS Conference was "Meh" up until that time.

Bless

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I wonder how this will/has effected development on the game? Are they gonna squeeze it on 1 DVD? or pull a Lost Odyssey and use 4+? Both versions will need to be the same so compromise has to be made somewhere.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

MS just dropped the price to $299. I've now seen it around here for $269 after rebates, or with something extra free (like games or controllers).

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think that is only until they clear out the 20GB models, then the new 60GB models will be $350 again. The Arcade it $270 I think... They should have just dropped it to $250 and be on par with the Wii.

6. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Well, that pretty much kills all my present and future interest for the PS3.

I usually think most of E3's stuff is hype and fanboy crud, but this? This definitely is a major blow.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its a clearance for now....there getting out all the 20GB and bringing in the new 60GB to stay along with the Arcade, 60 & 120GB.

It sounds like Sony still have a timed exclusive on their hands.....Guess we'll see.

Bless

8. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Ouch!

Agreed. IMO there were three big things that the PS3 had going for it. One, BlueRay. Still is the cheapest good BlueRay player out. Second, MGS4. As we can see, that's doing very well around the world, except in Europe. Then, it was FFXIII. Now that's another one down. PS3 only has MGS4 and BlueRay. Oh and it has Resistance.

So what are peeps going to buy a PS3 for other than BlueRay. That's the only reason I would get it now. As to reading about how they are going to fit all that nifty stuff on one disc? How about multiple discs. I know it's a pain, but it has worked before, it will work again!

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Kudos to MS for this one. While I personally don't really care one bit about a FF game, this is clearly a blow to Sony, timed exclusive or no.
    With the price cut on the 20GB 360, MS is set to stake a more permanent claim on the #2 spot [assuming you think the Wii is a nextgen console].

C'mon Sony, fire something back.

[goes back to playing Hot Shots Golf on his PS3]

10. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

You know, it really doesn't matter to me at this point. IMHO, Final Fantasy lost its touch after FFX. FFX-2 was retardid, and FFXII was way too long. Final Fantasy IX was my last favorite Final Fantasy, then they started making the games way too long. At this point, I'm hoping that FFXIII is actually good, because it seems that they're just relying on that franchise to make money.

I haven't bought a Square title since...FFX. Well actually, Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria, but that was actually an Enix franchise...

Anyway, I'll wait on reviews of this title before passing judgment. What do you guys think? Is FFXIII going to be a AAA?

11. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Another nice piece of MS news for those with a big HDD, coming to the 360:

Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/07/14/mrcwhtnltrxle.aspx

Thats groovy, sucks you need to have the disc in but it will make the console so much quieter.

12. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Probably as AAA as the Star Wars prequels: great visuals, cash cow, contrition upon reflection years after the fact.

We've seen so little of the game itself, though, besides the hot strawberry-blond kicking butt, that it's anybody's guess as to whether we'll get something worthy of the Final Fantasy name.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Installing a full 9GB+ game on your HDD and still have to keep the disc in the tray:confused:.....sounds dumb. that sounds like that will take a long time to get the whole game in there.

I am liking the new look of the 360 interface though.....straight up rip on Apple TV, Nintendo and Sony..They shoulda just build a house for the avatars and call it "Home Too" :eek:

Bless

14. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. And have you noticed that they're going feminist for main characters, alas FFX-2? That's how you know it's lost its touch. Oh and Nobuo Uematsu not composing the soundtrack? Nope. Not wasting my money on another Final Fantasy ever again.

Actually you know what? Ever since they got rid of Hironobu Sakaguchi, Final Fantasy DID go downhill from there. Anyone else agree with my assessment?

15. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

a dude from sqeenix said that 360 development will begin when they finish the game... Sounds like it's a long ways off

16. capoeirista macrumors 6502

17. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Whoa, hold up. Of all the problems I've had with Final Fantasy's recent incantations, the lead character's design of FF XIII is *not* one of them. I happen to like what (little) I see of hot strawberry-blond butt-kicking woman (whose name I can't recall) - not proportioned like a Dead or Alive babe, not ridiculously dressed like recent FF or Lost Odyssey heroines, and unafraid to mix it up with violent weaponry. (And no evidence of a dress combat system here.)

I am considerably more skeptical about the game world itself and the game mechanics - in particular, the switch to a MMO-style combat system in FF XII that is visually overloaded with numbers and stats gnaws at me.

I am also allowing for the possibility that the aforementioned lead character's personality will be as painful to roleplay as Squall in FF VIII. *ugh*

18. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

This generation hasn't been about exclusives IMO so far, most are pretty forgettable. I mean other than MGS4 I don't see a great exclusive out there. Gears I think is overrated, I think most would agree Halo 3 was a disappointment.

Uncharted was nice but I'm not sure it's a great game, Resistance was sort of bland, I love MLB the Show bust it's a niche market. The future looks pretty good with Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 but Fable 2 is also looking great.

I think this generation will be close with the PS3 and 360. Maybe separated by under 2 million. I don't see the Wii fizzling out but it would be funny if it did. I think what will separate the PS3 and 360 will ultimately be features and advertising. With the netflix, Microsoft made good strides to take a bit of the multimedia pie.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

We have to wait and see what Sony has to show tomorrow. I am a bit shocked, but its not too surprising. The most surprising part is that SE just blatantly stabbed Sony in the back and took a jab at their reputation.

MS has the money to throw around, Sony doesn't. MS strong arms companies in to compliance or they wave their money around. MS ultimately is going to ruin this industry (like is has done to so many other industries), it already has done irrepairable damage to it with thier moneyhatting.

This definaltey is not the generation for exclusives, I think games are cost prohibitive from staying on one platform. However I think there is more to it than that from SE, maybe some bad blood that even I can't find a answer to, their tone was very personal.

This isn't the end, its another exclusive lost, its happened on both sides. Your title is quite fanboi like btw, maybe you can change it to something more respectable?

20. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Japanese trailer on Gametrailers.

So two years = 2 more minutes of footage and 1 more minutes of footage seen at E3 2006. Scant gameplay footage (also from E3 2006).

I honestly don't expect to see this in the US until 2010.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good gravy! That's ultra news!

I mean yea, new FF=bleh, but it's a very popular series. Wow.

Now if a PS3 exclusive remake of FF7 is announced tomorrow then, then... Well I can't say :D
    I like Square more and more. Yea they've been pumping out the ports and remakes but they haven't been vocal (aka fed moneys) about how ausum BluRay is and they've clearly not seen the storage limitation of DVD9. Despite the series penchant for FMVs. It's all very very interesting.

22. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Just paraphrasing the melt down on sites like NeoGAF, kotaku, ps3fanboy, etc. It is a very big deal though,as far as E3 announcements go.

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It wasn't too long ago that Square had a "special relationship" with Nintendo. That ended when Sony waved a cheque under their nose.

Square have 'form' when it come to this sort of behaviour.

24. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

It's business. Square wants to make (more) money. There isn't much else to it.

Besides, exclusivity on the whole sucks for the average gamer. The only real worry (which may be overblown) for PS3 owners is that they see less games for their console due to the loss of console-selling exclusives.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because Square have never done anything like this before? At least Sony are still getting the game :p

If it's helped the industry realise that uberly epic games don't need BluRay, don't need HDD's as standard, don't need anything that the PS3 offers over the Xbox 360 then it's good. There's been too much hyperbole about how these things are required for gaming.
    A shame it takes a lot of money to show otherwise. But IMO I see this event as something positive for the industry, and for gamers since the 19 or so million 360 users can potentially play the game. Regardless of how many emos or soap operas they manage to squeeze onto the disc.