Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Hey all, just an interesting thing I noticed today, don't know if it's even anything at all, but thought I'd bring it up.

Those of you who live in the SF Bay Area and listen to hip hop probably know of Wild 94.9. Well right now they're preparing to give away iPods to listeners as part of a radio contest (which they wonderfully promote as "the thing that EVERYONE wants this Christmas")

The interesting thing is that at the end of the commercial, they note that the iPod giveaway is sponsored by Sony Music. Does this strike anyone else as odd? Isn't the iPod in direct competition with Sony's MDs and Network Walkmans? Isn't Sony prepping to have a jukebox style player coming out soon anyway? What do you all think?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i dont think so cause even sony knows that this is one market where they dont have the standard, walkmans are over.

iJon

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Sony Music is different than sony Electronics........... Sony Music is focused on music development and sales (artists, cds and LEGAL music dowlnloads.) they don't have anything to do with the electronics end. So it's really not as strange as you think it is.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
yeah, sony is divided into many divisions... music, entertainment, etc.

there is even a sony insurance company in japan... they are al independant entities now...

the new CEo is actually trying to pull all these together because it is the competition between different divisions of sony now that are causing them to stall in their usually brilliant ideas and innovations.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Re: Sony supporting iPod giveaway?

Originally posted by wowoah
Hey all, just an interesting thing I noticed today, don't know if it's even anything at all, but thought I'd bring it up.

Those of you who live in the SF Bay Area and listen to hip hop probably know of Wild 94.9. Well right now they're preparing to give away iPods to listeners as part of a radio contest (which they wonderfully promote as "the thing that EVERYONE wants this Christmas")

The interesting thing is that at the end of the commercial, they note that the iPod giveaway is sponsored by Sony Music. Does this strike anyone else as odd? Isn't the iPod in direct competition with Sony's MDs and Network Walkmans? Isn't Sony prepping to have a jukebox style player coming out soon anyway? What do you all think?

that's too funny - i live in the bay area too and heard that the other day as well and wondered what the heck sony was doing supporting an ipod giveaway! it makes sense that it's the sony music division doing this, rather than sony electronics, but it's still a little odd since sony does make mp3 players. in fact, i have one of theirs that my ipod replaced. if they were smart, they would have some corporate guideline to align the missions of the different divisions to avoid initiatives that could support a competitor in any area.

marianne

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
that is the whole problem with Sony today, there is no single corporate vision, all the divisions are going their own way...

Sony needs someone like Apple to pull it all together... also, sony does not make mp3 player per sé... they are atrac3 players, something which bothers the hell out of me no end, recompressing/re-encoding an already lossy format. into something with the most stringent DRM I have ever seen...

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
wowoah, I listened to that promo today and thought the same thing. Pretty interesting. I got all warm and fuzzy hearing on 949 that an Apple product was the most wanted thing for Christmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.