Sony to develop 4GB memory stick...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
1,709
0
dpreview link

Could have implications for a Sony-Ericsson-Apple superphone. I'm not sure if the 1.8" drives (that's in the ipod) can fit into a phone. It'll have to be one of these flash media cards. CompactFlash, Microdrives, and MemorySticks seem to have the biggest growing potential.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
Wow, those little flash cards are small - it would be quite amazing to get that much memmory in a PDA, Phone, Camera - with 4Gig you wouldn't really need to ever worry about downloading the images regularly - but its got other great potential as well. If they're cheap enough that same technology could be brought together to create solidstate drives that have 100 Gig and don't cost $35,000 a piece.

Is there any mention of the price of these things?

D
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
2005 for the 4GB...damn...

Oh, well...I'll be happy if they release a 256MB or 512MB stick soon. My 5MP camera can fill up my 128 way too fast.
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,146
1,165
East Coast
On the topic of sony ...

Does anyone have either the DSC-P7 or P9? I'm looking to get one soon, but Apple's iPhoto page doesn't list it as compatible. I read one review that said iPhoto does work, but I'd like to have a 2nd source of comfirmation. Thanks.

Oh, just to keep on topic. 4GB memory sticks will ROCK!
 

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
209
0
512 already...

I just read an article yesterday that they have released a 512 MB SD chip. The only problem is it costs like 6 or 700 dollars (US).
 

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
1,652
4
State of Denial
Re: 512 already...

Originally posted by makkystyle
I just read an article yesterday that they have released a 512 MB SD chip. The only problem is it costs like 6 or 700 dollars (US).
Bah, who cares about SD? The only "advantages" it has over MMC are in so-called 'security' which slows down the access speed and is really only good for any corp. involved in anti-piracy measures. For the consumer it has NO advantage, and costs more than MMC. For example, a 512 MB MMC (identical in every way to the SD except in price, 'security' features, and reader firmware) costs something like $400, nearly half the cost of the SD. [/rant]
 

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Its funny how ya'll go who-hoo! for a 4 GB memory stick, and people balk at a 5 GB digicam. :D

I personally am content with my two 192 Compact Flask cards (12x speed). Heck, if I needed a gig I'll buy a microdrive.

But hey, gooo...sony! Get them 4 gigers out in three years!
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,146
1,165
East Coast
Originally posted by Over Achiever
I personally am content with my two 192 Compact Flask cards (12x speed). Heck, if I needed a gig I'll buy a microdrive.
What's the advantage of a 1GB microdrive over a 1GB CF card? Wouldn't the CF card be more desirable? At least it would consume less power and be more durable. Probably a little more expensive, though.
 

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by ftaok
What's the advantage of a 1GB microdrive over a 1GB CF card? Wouldn't the CF card be more desirable? At least it would consume less power and be more durable. Probably a little more expensive, though.
I don't need that much space, so I really don't know. True CF is more stable (no moving parts), and the lexar 1 GB card is nice! (24x speed)

I was just stating that for a gig I could buy a microdrive as well as buying a CF card. I like options;)
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Re: Re: 512 already...

Originally posted by GeeYouEye


Bah, who cares about SD? The only "advantages" it has over MMC are in so-called 'security' which slows down the access speed and is really only good for any corp. involved in anti-piracy measures. For the consumer it has NO advantage, and costs more than MMC. For example, a 512 MB MMC (identical in every way to the SD except in price, 'security' features, and reader firmware) costs something like $400, nearly half the cost of the SD. [/rant]
SD does allow for the addition of other peripherals, such as Bluetooth and GPS cards that isn't possible with MMC, which is storage only.
 

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
1,709
0
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Its funny how ya'll go who-hoo! for a 4 GB memory stick, and people balk at a 5 GB digicam. :D
Given that phones are getting more sophisticated and media-oriented, I don't think it'd be too hard to fill up the 4 GB: think music, photos, videos, games, etc.
 

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
1,164
0
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Its funny how ya'll go who-hoo! for a 4 GB memory stick, and people balk at a 5 GB digicam. :D

I personally am content with my two 192 Compact Flask cards (12x speed). Heck, if I needed a gig I'll buy a microdrive.

But hey, gooo...sony! Get them 4 gigers out in three years!
I think over achiever is referring to me, here!:eek: I did post my opposition to putting 5GB of memory in a digicam, mostly because today's consumer digicams do not output files big enough to warrant that much memory. Keep in mind, however, that the 5GB Memory Stick comes out in 2005, when we may need that much memory in our digital cameras. Until then, I'm fine with 128MB in my Nikon Coolpix.
 

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
607
19
New Zealand
imagine a solid state DV camera

Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
...today's consumer digicams do not output files big enough to warrant that much memory. Keep in mind, however, that the 5GB Memory Stick comes out in 2005...
yeah but when it's cheap enough we could easily use that sort of storage for DV. if my memory serves me right 4 gig holds about 1 hour of uncompressed DV - someone correct me if i'm wrong.

imagine a solid state DV camera.
:cool:

josh
 

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
888
0
New York
Re: imagine a solid state DV camera

Originally posted by i_b_joshua


yeah but when it's cheap enough we could easily use that sort of storage for DV. if my memory serves me right 4 gig holds about 1 hour of uncompressed DV - someone correct me if i'm wrong.

josh
sorry josh but i believe 1GB of DV footage is near the 4 minute and 20 second range. So 4GB mem stick wouldn't even hold 20 mins of Dv footage unless its compressed with maybe FCPs offline RT mode.

tyler

where the hell are these new memory sticks. i want a 256MB right now!!!!!!!
 

Mac2006

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2002
29
0
Texas
Think about it if they could really fit 4gig's on a sony memory card then it would probably be the end of cd's and dvd's.
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Mac2006
Think about it if they could really fit 4gig's on a sony memory card then it would probably be the end of cd's and dvd's.
Not at current prices...;)

$5 > DVD Media
$80-90 for 128MB Memory Stick...exptrapolate that to 4GB...ouch!!!
 

Mac2006

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2002
29
0
Texas
thats true the 4gig memory card will be relativly expensive but im sure they will adapt this technology to music/vedio storage devices [i dont know if theirs a technacal name for it]
 

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
888
0
New York
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Not at current prices...;)

$5 > DVD Media
$80-90 for 128MB Memory Stick...exptrapolate that to 4GB...ouch!!!
good point man

actually I got blank DVD-Rs for $1.50 each. so i imagine by 2005 they will be at blank CD-R prices. haha actually by then B-Ray disks will hold 50GBs so sony's 4GB wont be a threat.

tyler