Sony Xperia S, worth a look.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boy-better-know, Jan 15, 2012.

1. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I love iOS as much as anyone here does, but my god does this phone look nice.
    http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-xperia-s-review
    My only issue is Android, but the phone looks even better now that Sony has ditched the child like SonyErricson branding.
    Currently using the iPhone 4, and the 4S didn't impress me. If the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen, I will be getting this. Hopefully this can rival the galaxy. What do you think?

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks like a big brick to me...ugly IMO.

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I would buy it if it comes out soon.

Always like Sony designs and their cameras are right on par with the iPhones IMO. Plus the UI is beautiful and clean and with ICS it will run amazing :)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Sony has been lackluster with their Android phones IMO. I would have to see it, touch it, play with it, etc. before I let myself get impressed. They haven't really impressed me in quite a while with their phones.

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Looks nice and I'll give it a look but to be fair I don't think I could ever go back to Sony (Ericsson). Last few phones I have had with them have been disappointing to say the least, shame because my all time favourite phone (K800i) came from them too.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

I actually saw the Xperia at a SonyStyle Store and I didn't like it. It looks great online, but in person it didn't at all feel like quality. I am a fan of Sony, but in the last few years, they seem to be skimming on quality. The designs are still innovative, especially with their flagship Z Series Notebook. I'd check it in person before making a purchase. They're pretty expensive - Xperia, more than an iPhone.

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

I am actually waiting for the successor to the XPERIA Play.

With just Sony in the branding, maybe they can finally deliver us a true PlayStation phone that can actually sync to my PSN account. I can finally put all my games I've purchased over there onto my phone which the X Play couldn't do.

I was planning to get a PS Vita next month. But now that I moved to the PI last November, I can just wait. A dedicated handheld won't be needed if Sony can improve what the XPERIA Play was trying to do last year. Just give it beefier hardware, tiny analog sticks, and the ability to buy games from the PSN Store. A true PlayStation phone can now be possible with only Sony's name on it.

The rest of the XPERIA/Android phones have been mediocre at best so far. Nothing special that either HTC and Samsung couldn't do with their Android phones. SE is sorta where Motorola has been. In the middle-pack of the Android lineup. Maybe worse. HTC and Samsung Androids were usually more popular and got better reviews.

8. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Yeah, I had a Sony Xperia X10 for a while. It was so slow and clunky I gave up on it and went back to my iPhone.

9. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Don't like it... it looks like a brick.

Another phone that thinks it's going to kill the iphone and fails

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I really think Sony should develop their own mobile OS if they mean it with Apple. Design is okay to me. Not sleek enough to be iPhone competition, but not bad either. It's just way too generic and not memorable.

Keeping the Android way is a good recipe for a forgettable phone. 6 months from now and nobody would talk about it anymore. Sony will make tons of new models and forget about this one. While old iPhone model like 3GS still left us with so many echo to boot.

Sony really need to build a long-dreamed PSPhone to rave up competition. That way they build something from their own flagship icon, the Playstation. Like Apple built a phone based on their icon, the iPod.

But Sony went with PS Vita instead. First of all, I find the name itself sounds (despite have a good meaning) silly and childish. Lack of elegance, presence, and you can't take it seriously only by the name alone.
    Granted, it has amazing spec, quad core CPU and all.. but why only use SIM for 3G? Why not supporting phone and texting? Sony decide to dump the Ericsson name and going alone into the cellphone jungle.

So they should've started it with PSPhone. Make it an iconic product. Oh well ..

11. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Says the screen isn't on par even with the Galaxy S2! No go here...bring on the iPhone 5 baby!!

12. dba415 macrumors 6502

As long as there is Ice Cream Sandwich on there and doesn't have the laggy Xperia skin that has ruined all other xperia phones it'll be good.

Software has always been the problem with xperia line, I want stock ICS.

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It's been a long time since Sony release a great iconic product.

The very first original PlayStation 3 back in Nov. 2006 was a great great achievement. The sleek black glossy design, and chromic border, various memory card reader, 4 USB ports. It was a best milestone from Sony. Maybe the hype was more than original iPhone.

Well .. I'm afraid that kind of Sony is dead already.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Looks rather uninspired to me, but I'd like to hope that one day Sony will return to its former glory...

15. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

My main issue with Sony is that they tend to overreach software wise and but not in terms of hardware. So usually you get a great piece of hardware conceptually, but one just isn't powerful enough to keep things running smoothly. Battery life is a bit hit or miss too.

16. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I won't buy another Sony product after dealing with their customer service yesterday. Their product failed me after 3 1/2 months (with very little use) and they wouldn't replace it.