Sony Z - anyone here purchased that didn't want to wait? Reviews?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Mar 27, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I know a few here who were planning to purchase the new Z if no updates came along soon ...

If you bought one please post how you're liking it so far.

2. MIBUK macrumors newbie

Try the forums at notebookreviews. There are loads of threads on the new Sony Vaio Z11, with loads of tips ie. Download the latest Intel BIOS firmware to support TRIM on the RAID 0 SSD.

Placed my order on Friday after waiting so long for a MacBook Pro update. Had to place an order before budget end. But, at the end of the day, it is a work tool and will work well enough for me. But, I'm sure Apple will surprise us all.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I checked over at notebookreviews ... I'm a member there from the 'dell hell' days ... for the Sony Z I'd MUCH rather read comments about it from a Mac Owners prospective, that's why I posted here.

I'll not likely ever use a Sony Z but I have two people who work for me in need of a computer now ... it's an ultra portable I've promised both of them and this isn't the time to buy an Air and they're more than happy to work in Win7...

So, any new Sony Z owners here please let us know how it's going.

- Thanks.

5. Esquare macrumors member

Well, I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in the Netherlands the Sony online store quotes an estimated delivery time of 4-5 weeks...

6. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Interesting, they are in the Sony Stores here in Canada.

7. Esquare macrumors member

Available or display models? If I try to order a CTO i7 on http://www.sonystyle.ca, I get an estimated ship date of 04/13/2010. The i5 version shows 04/05/2010.

All in all it looks like Sony has the same problem as Apple.

8. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Im going into my local Sony Style Store to check it out. If all goes well i might just pick one up and do an unboxing/review for you guys with "live" questions/answers as well. Doesnt get any more in depth than that. With that being said, im OFF! Good night everyone.

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It's because the Sony Z uses the new HM55 that is slowly (slowly) making its way around. Most of the Arrandale laptops on the market so far use the older PM55 chipset (I think this includes the Envy, although I thought it had an HM55 for a while lol).

I can't give a direct comparison since I own an F series, but I like the Z more and more everyday, it's more powerful than a 13" MBP but it weighs like a MBA. Gotta love that, lol.

Sony's support is actually pretty good (I was surprised), but if you call after hours (since it's 24/7) weird things happen. Oh, and the last Z was made in Japan (or in California if you custom ordered one), so I am assuming the current Z is also being produced that way, if it matters much to you.

Either way, I've heard great things so far, but you may find yourself upset when you realize it's not a Mac lol :)

The last time I owned a Vaio, it was the first desktop tower they made, I still have most of that machine laying around and it still works great, but there was one flaw - the tower's side door always kept falling off lol.

I beat the hell out of that machine though (not PHYSICALLY but still lol :D). Many, many experiments and the dang thing still works so.. yea. XD

10. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

To be honest i didn't try the Sony Vaio Z Series yet but i can talk generally about my experience with Sony so far as i am an owner of Sony Vaio FZ21Z laptop.
    I have a Sony laptop for 2 1/2 years and i can say i couldn't be more unsatisfied with it. Although it seemed to be a good purchase and its specifications looked very good two years ago (Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram Blu-Ray Disc Geforce 8600M GPU) it prooved to be a very poor purchase for me due to the lack of properly support by Sony. My laptop shipped with Windows Vista and as i am the kind of the people who want their laptops to just "work" i decided to downgrade to Windows XP. I searched all over the internet i asked also Sony for drivers but nothing worked. The same think happened again with the release of Windows 7 . Sony officially does not offer support(drivers) for my model FZ21Z .

I don't know how much Sony improved into last years , but i think macbooks are the only way to go for me for now on , so i can wait until their release.
    I hope my post will help you out to make your own decision.:)