Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
So i dropped my 5 :mad: Its cracked on the bottom part near the button. It slid out of my scrub pant side pocket while adjusting the seat of my car. I sas all careful this weekend until my case came in and this happened. Got applecare+ but I wanted to switch to a 64gb in the applestore. Do you think they would still allow me to get the bigger gigs or am I SOL..

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
So i dropped my 5 :mad: Its cracked on the bottom part near the button. It slid out of my scrub pant side pocket while adjusting the seat of my car. I sas all careful this weekend until my case came in and this happened. Got applecare+ but I wanted to switch to a 64gb in the applestore. Do you think they would still allow me to get the bigger gigs or am I SOL..

Pics!

KaiMac

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2004
Va

I bet they let you upgrade since you bought Applecare. It will be all good.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
You might have to pay whatever the AppleCare+ fee is for a replacement, THEN do the upgrade, but can't see why they wouldn't let you do that.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Everything I have read about AppleCare+ is that you get the exact model that you have covered, no changes or upgrades. Most likely because people would be using it as a method to upgrade their devices.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Pics would be nice dear sir. If I can see what a broken phone looks like I will be less likely to want to drop mine.... I always have this urge to drop it and watch

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
nopic.jpg

Ramonn

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Dear friend,

We have an old saying in our village:

No SS no Trust...

(Puro smoking icon)

RSNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
here ya go...i was pretty sad about it this morning.

Attachments

• cracked out.JPG
    cracked out.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 270

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
And this is why I ALWAYS case my phone. "OH but cases make it look ugly" Yeah I think a cracked screen is uglier. Just dropped my 4S yesterday pretty hard on concrete and it landed right on the corner and flipped around a few times before landing on its back. Not a single mark.

Sorry to hear. At least you have AC.

RSNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Everything I have read about AppleCare+ is that you get the exact model that you have covered, no changes or upgrades. Most likely because people would be using it as a method to upgrade their devices.

well, apple allows exchanges within 3o days...i dont think a lot of people are stupid like me and drop their phones so early into the release:eek:

rombo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
From past experiences, if you only have a single crack apple will replace at no cost. It may depend if there is visible damage to the aluminum though. I had a 4s crack once when i hit the home button.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

I find if you're polite and sincere when you go to the Apple Store they'll go to great lengths to help you out.

It sounds like you had a case on it? What kind/brand? Be sure and tell Apple it was in a case when it cracked.

I think the upgrade to a 64 will be at the managers discretion.

Let us know how you make out.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine

See if the good folks at an Apple Store will take pity on you. Maybe they'll also upgrade you to 64GB for $100.

Otherwise, throw a sticker over it and ride it out for at least a few months. Not much of a crack to justify one of your two $49 AppleCare+ claims.

RSNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I find if you're polite and sincere when you go to the Apple Store they'll go to great lengths to help you out.

It sounds like you had a case on it? What kind/brand? Be sure and tell Apple it was in a case when it cracked.

I think the upgrade to a 64 will be at the managers discretion.

Let us know how you make out.

i didnt have a case yet sadly. I have the photive coming in from Amazon and the Caze zero 5 coming..thats why i was babying this thing until those came in. Even left the plastic in the front it came with (triming the ear part and button area). But i will come in sincere and polite and hopefully it'll work out..

RSNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
See if the good folks at an Apple Store will take pity on you. Maybe they'll also upgrade you to 64GB for $100.

Otherwise, throw a sticker over it and ride it out for at least a few months. Not much of a crack to justify one of your two $49 AppleCare+ claims.

that crack will bug the ish out of me knowing its there hah..so if it comes down to it i will have to use one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.