soo.no way for T-mobile users to get a 3g phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greentomato, Jun 10, 2008.

1. greentomato macrumors newbie

so..do you think there would be possible ways to get a iphone for people who are enslaved to a lengthy t-mobile contract?

2. ThePeacemaker02 macrumors regular

Well it seems the only way would be to sign up, wait 30 days then cancel the line and pay the termination fee. More work than it's worth.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Don't be so sure. I bet the unlockers still do it. $199 for iphone 3G + ~$70 for first month service + $200 for early termination fee = ~$470. That is only $70 more than the cost of an unlocked edge iphone.

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

The one with the GPS is $299.00 so that'd make it $570.00. That's if they don't raise the termination fee.

5. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Actually both the $199 and $299 model have GPS.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Um, they both have GPS. The more expensive one only has a larger flash drive. Please don't spread FUD.

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Add another 36 bones... there is an activation fee, too!

8. wako macrumors 65816

there is absolutely no point in getting a 3G iPhone with Tmobile. 3G for Tmobile USA will NOT work with the iPhone since it uses different bands. You will only be able to use EDGE. You might as well just go on ebay and buy the current iPhones that are available now...

On a side note though, Im pretty sure the unlocking community will live strong. So you could probably buy a iPhone 3G, and then just cancel the phone. Then just cancel the line and just not return the phone. They will probably then charge you 200 or 300 dollars or whatever the subsidy maybe additional to the 200-300 dollars you paid for the phone

9. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

There is a small reason only... GPS. Maybe that is big to some users.

Or, maybe you do not already have an iPhone... if you can figure out how to get it for 2 or 3 large.

Or, since it is about the retail cost of 1G iPhones (give or take a couple bucks if you HAVE to pay the termination fee)... maybe the guy wants it BRAND new.

Or maybe the guy likes plastic backs, or needs a white phone to match their suit.

Or, maybe they travel a lot to Europe.

None of these apply to me.... but there ARE reasons for a T-Mo customer to look at the new phone. I will be happy with my 1G.... but I will be upgrading when there is a 32 Gig with better camera- 3G or No 3G!

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Ahh so there are only two models... one 8GB with GPS and one 16GB with GPS? My bad.

11. wako macrumors 65816

true which is why i propose that the OP just buy an iPhone 3G and just pay the penalty