Soon to be an EX Vista user and a proud Mac owner, I have a ? about Moving iTunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bbotte, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Well pretty soon I will be purchasing either a iMac or a Mac Mini. I currently have a Vista machine I built. My qusetion is, How do I transfer all my content to the new Mac machine when I get it? I have my 2 3G iPhones and an Apple TV in the house. I want my iPhone content to be on the new machine. I want it to be as clean a transfer as possible. The Mac will be the only computer I use iTunes on.

2. Standard macrumors regular

Plug your iPhones into your new Apple computer and 'Sync' them via iTunes. Everything else that needs to go on that machine is no different than transferring with a Windows machine. Use an external hard drive or something along those lines.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is very easy, if you have your music library consolidated. If you don't, I highly recommend that you do this now. To consolidate your library, just go to the Advanced menu and choose Consolidate Library. Once that's done, copy the whole iTunes folder, iTunes Library.itl file and all, to your Mac. How to do this is up to you - you can use multiple discs, an external hard drive, or a network copy. Put it in the Music folder in your user folder, on your Mac. Open iTunes - it will discover that you have a Windows iTunes Library and automatically convert it to the Mac format. Your playlists, play counts, songs, etc. will all be preserved.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

According to this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329, Apple recommends the method above.

I think the other suggestion of syncing the iPhone to the new Mac would actually delete your songs because it would sync a blank iTunes library on the Mac to your iPhone.

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Besides, it always wise to make external backups of your content. I regularly make backups of my iTunes content onto DVDs as well as onto disc.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Does it work t'other way round?

I've just bought an Advent 4211 Netbook for portable use and am moving the Macbook to the office for mainly desktop use. I want to copy over most of my library to the Netbook

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Yes, you just need to "authorize" your Netbook as a machine that is allowed to play your iTunes content. Just check the following doc from Apple.

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Cheers, that'll make life easier.