Soon to be very first iPhone owner!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrf097, Apr 18, 2012.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

My time to upgrade is this Saturday on Verizon (right before the 30$ upgrade fee too! Phew!) and my mom as agreed to let me move up in the cell phone world from a feature phone to a smartphone. The smartphone she's allowing me to have? An iPhone (mainly because she has an iPhone and I told her about all the things that iPhones to iPhones can do, and 90% of my extended family all have some iPhone model from 3GS-4S). I'm very excited and I cannot wait to join the iPhone family of users! With this said, I have several questions to ask about having an iPhone.

1) Of course, this is the question that's killing me. Black or White? The Black model looks sleek, but it blends with every other iPhone in the world basically. The White on the other hand as a very nice taste to it, but I've heard people complain that it's not white enough or there's "light leakage" (what is light leakage anyways?)

2) Is A case a must-have for an iPhone? I understand that the front and back are glass, but surely Apple uses a glass that can easily withstand scratching? That is my main concern. I rarely drop my phone and cracking is not a worry for me, but big scratches at the very least are!

3) How easy will it be to copy my contacts from my feature phone to my iPhone. I do have Verizon Backup Assistant on my account so is there a Verizon app that'll just copy them over from my old phone to my new one, or will I need to do it manually since neither phone uses Verizon's new SIMs?

4) In addition to that case question, should I also get a screen protector? If I do which would be the best kind to get? I like matte screen protectors but they make the screens look funky at times, vs. non-matte that don't cause a funky look but can make the screen feel weird. Again I'm not normally clumsy with my devices, but just wondering if there are any precautions I should take.

Thank you for helping me out! I cannot WAIT to be an iPhone owner! :apple:

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

whites are so sexy IMO :)

but also both my white products 4s and new ipad seem to have had the "yellow" tint to it for the first month or so until the adhesive evened out i guess.

the store can hook you up with contacts!

case is a must in my opinion. Ive dropped my old ip4 from 3 feet, it landed flush on with the ground, shattered both sides :( I love the encase sliders. great protection, little thickness added.

congrats on joining the family. Youll love it.

3. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

You're definitely gonna love the iPhone party!
    As for white or black, I have the black, brother and girlfriend have white and it looks great. Either one is still the best :) (useless comment I know)
    Sometimes I do use a case, and sometimes I don't. My recommendation is to definitely get a case. A nicely protected case without sacrificing too much style is the Otterbox commuter. I personally have a defender though, lots of protection, still not too insane.

4. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Beauty Beauty Beauty!

I'd say, white all day. I have a white one and it's incredibly beautiful. If you're careful with it, and keep it protected in a purse or pocket, you really don't need a case. If you're not careful with it, and you drop things a lot, get an otterbox!

But, it's just too beautiful to cover up! (in my opinion) :apple:

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There's probably some easy way to get your contacts from your old phone to your computer's address book. Once you've done that just sync it with Gmail or Yahoo or iCloud. You'll want your iPhone to sync with one of these services anyway, not with the computer itself. So just figure out how to get them up in the cloud now, even before you have your phone.

A case is ok (I don't use one, but I won't tell you not to), but don't get a screen protector.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Use backup assistant on the feature phone, then download the app onto the iPhone, easy as pie.

It doesn't matter what color, both are neutral colors. One is not more "girly" than the other.

A case is a must have. I'm not as high on otter boxes as everyone else. I think they're ugly and add too much bulk. I like Incepio, Speck, and Incase. The Vapor Pro is great if you have the cash.

Screen protector is good for piece of mind.

7. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Thank you all! I think I'll probably get the white one! I can't wait! :D

8. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

Agree with everything that's been said. As for the case thing, I havent had one on my phone since about the 2nd week the iPhone 4 came out (So since July 2010) and it has hardly a scratch. This including dropping off my bedside table tons of times, and even one time dropping it down a flight of stairs... (bounced on the bevel the whole way down. Perfect.)

But since this is your first, I would buy a slim case, mainly just to train yourself how to put the phone down, how to put it in your pocket, etc.. It sounds crazy, but at first, you're going to be hesitant about moving your phone around to keep it nice, so putting a case on it will make it more durable at first. After the first week craziness passes you can take the case off and enjoy the thinness of the phone.

Welcome to the best side.

9. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

I feel like we are family. :)

I wish my mom was a cool as yours. Enjoy. :apple:

10. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You were expecting time travel?

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

14. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Enjoy the iphone! I have a black one, decided on that as I think it is sleeker, easier to maintain that 'new' look, and blends better with my imac :) But the white ones are beautiful too! Can't go wrong.

As for the case - I myself love the look of the 'naked' phone and am not crazy about cases at all...I don't want to cover up my money iphone with a $10-30 piece of plastic :rolleyes:

But of course protection is a great reason to find a case. Some of the slimmer ones aren't too bad, but usually the slimmer they are the less protective they are, unfortunately.

For my $.02, I use a full body skin called Best Skins Ever. You can't tell it's on, the phone looks 'naked' but is wrapped in a skin that covers the whole thing. It won't offer the drop protection of an otterbox case, but it offers great scratch/nick protection and actually does help a lot with minor-medium falls. Plus it only costs $9, and again doesn't change the look of the phone at all. IMO it's the best solution if you're not a 'case person' but still want some good protection.

15. andyx3x macrumors 65816

The back scratches much more easily than the front. You've got to be careful there.

I would buy this. You get a front and a back screen protector.

http://www.amazon.com/SGP-iPhone-Pr..._1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334812217&sr=1-2

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

First off, Congratulation on soon to be owning your first iPhone.

1. As for the color, I would say it is up to you what color to choose. Some people prefer black, some people prefer white. IMO I always had a black iphone, 3G, 3GS, and 4, so I wanted to try something different for the 4S so I went for a white one instead. Honestly I really like the white one.

If there is an Apple store near you, you can go visit, I'm sure you are aware that they do have display iphones so you can technically play with both and compare both side by side and see what you like best. Of course you do have the 30 day return/exchange period so if you don't like the color, you can always return it and get a different color.

2. As for the case, it really depends on user. Some user prefers it naked while some uses a case. Personally I use a case but it's a Vapor Comp (CNC cut aluminum Bumper, so only my sides are protected), while my front and back isn't protected, and I have never dropped my phone.

Both front and back is made of glass so if it hits the hard surface just right and hard enough it will crack the glass and replacement isn't cheap. For this matter, I would highly recommend Applecare+, it extends the warranty to 2 years, and does cover 2 accidental damages costing at $49 each, after that it will cost $199 for a replacement.

So if you know you take very good care of your device, then I wouldn't worry about case, I myself would prefer a naked phone, but i would rather have a high resell value of the device so I always keep it protected.

3. It's easy, just take your featured phone to the apple store, Apple has a device that can transfer contacts from your featured phone to a smartphone. I'm sure Verizon does too.

4.As for the screen protector, again, it's really up to you. After 4S came out, my iphone 4 was caseless with no screen protector and started having scratches on the back and front of glass. So I definitely recommend it.

Good luck and enjoy.

17. chuges macrumors member

you can download the "VZ Contact Transfer" app to pull down all your contacts info

after doing a ton of research into screen protectors, i found that power support makes the best ones (the "crystal" version) - it doesn't blur your screen at all and the surface is as smooth as the original glass so your finger won't get stuck. it's a little pricey at $20 including shipping, but it's worth it to give yourself a little piece of mind about scratch protection while not diminishing the utility of the phone.

enjoy!!

18. BrassPro macrumors newbie

19. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Two more questions!

1) Will the Verizon contact transfer app copy my contacts over to iCloud in addition to the phone? If I add more contacts can I go back and sync them later in case a future phone I have isn't an iPhone?

2) What is this "light leakage" I read about on the White iPhone 4S?

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

1) In doubt, black is always the model to go. Almost everybody likes the black model - and if you go for white, than that's a 'stylish' decision.

2) A case has not been a must have for me. I've owned an iPhone 4 since the launch in 2010 and I have used it everyday and the best damage I was able to cause were some light scratches on the back of the device (which were only visible when hold under a bright light under an angle).

3) If all your contacts are on your SIM card you could easily import them - but since you are talking about Verizon (which I believe don't use sim cards), it might be more difficult. I suppose the best option is to import everything by hand. And doing this by hand will also make you more familiarized with the device.

4) This is personal. I have never liked screenprotectors because you (or at least I) always notice it's there and it doesn't feel the same as a naked screen. If you are, however, worried about scratches going with a screen protector is a wise decision.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My old man moved from a feature phone to an iPhone. I wasn't there, but I know he didn't need to worry about losing contacts. Just bring your feature phone to the store.

Congrats on your new iPhone!

22. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Hooray for you! I'm sure most people on this forum would love to have had an iPhone at your age.

1) You might want a white iPhone

2) Yes. The 4S has a glass back, which can break. I recommend an Otterbox case because that's what I have. I hear a little kid threw his mom's iPhone 4 across a room, but the phone survived since his mom did herself a favor and got an Otterbox case.

3) I hear Verizon's Backup Assistant is available for iPhone, so it's very easy to. Here's a PCMag article on how to transfer contacts from your old Verizon phone to your Verizon iPhone. I haven't tried it because I'm on AT&T. (For AT&T customers, there's an "Import SIM Card" button under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings.)

4) Yeah.

23. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It sounds like you're just here for advertising the Otterbox case.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I don't know how young OP is, but younger users could stand to protect their phone with an Otterbox. The Otterbox is a fortress.

25. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

First off

[​IMG]

Secondly, I think the white phones are just down right pretty. More so than the black. That being said, I have the black one because its more my style.
    As for a screen protector. Some swear by them, some don't. I've never used one on any of the iphones I've had. Neither has my family. But it all comes down to you and how careful you are.
    Case? Yes, I'd get one. But again, it all depends on you and your use.

Anyway, Welcome!