Sooo...about buying a monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by medi.freak, Dec 6, 2011.

1. medi.freak, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

medi.freak macrumors regular

I opened a thread a couple months ago about buying a monitor for my 2011 MBP 15", but I could not decide, and was moving to college anyway (in Germany), and now I am kinda settled, and am looking into this again. I do not have the money for a 27" thunderbolt Display and also do not have the money for the old 24" ACD. SO: The money I have: max: 250 Euros. My number one was, for a long time the Dell 24" one: Dell UltraSharp

(that one only costs 240 Euros in german amazon)

But I do not really like the design of it. It is so not Apple like.

So here are some design-like alternatives I found:

HP (really slim)

or that one

Acer

or that one

HP Monitor

(Also about 250 Euros in Germany)

sorry, I didn't find an english link to the Acer one. If I'd decide for that one, which contrast ratio is good? There a a few options on the amazon link.

If you have any other ideas of monitors that look Apple-ish please feel free to post.

I know the Dell is the only one with IPS, but I don't really think I would notice that much. And the Dell one just looks uglyyyy... =(

If there is nothing huge speaking against the HP Monitor (last link), I think I'd like to buy that one. It looks almost like an ACD with the stand and the glossy finnish...

2. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

I do a lot of photoshop work so I'm sure my opinion is bias, but IPS is amazing compared to TN.

Is it the dell monitor itself you don't like or the stand? If it's the stand you don't like, I wonder if they make a vesa stand that resembles the ACD stand.

I myself find simplicity beautiful.

3. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Hey there =)

I'm pretty much an average PC user, that doesn't even need the power of his MBP, and definitely do no photo editing (at least not professionally anyway). I am just not very pleased with the overall design of the Dell. I have antiglare on my MBP, and am pleased with it, but I think on my external monitor I would like the glossy finnish and the simply beautiful design like the ACD's...just that I can not afford it. So the HP looks pretty much exactly like an ACD, but is a TN panel. The ratings on Amazon are almost all good though. Is there a way to see the display anywhere without buying it? Probably not.

4. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Probably not, but then again, I don't know what kind of stores there are in Germany. If you were in the US, you may be able to look at one in a store like Fry's.

If you search for it on youtube, there are some videos.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure I can help with an exact model to fit your needs, but I'd like to suggest that manufacturers serve a lot of kool-aid in this regard. IPS panels can look nicer, but the panel number is only one aspect of a display. It's possible to have a poor implementation of a good panel. I would read some reviews, because it's not just how they look out of the box, but how they age. After a year of ownership it sucks to end up with a display with purple corners and poor uniformity.

HP is hit and miss on displays. I don't know anything about Acer.

6. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

I'll look into some reviews about the HP then... It looks so nice, but it is a TFT one. Is that too much last generation?

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I'm returning my recently purchased Dell Ultrasharp. While phenominal feature wise (the ugly ass stand provides a ton of movement/positioning), the antiglare coating is excessive.

Any light area on my screen looks smudged and dirty. I'm not stuck on glossy, but there is such a thing as too much anti-glare.

fwiw