All iPads Sooo.... What are YOU buying this Friday? - iPad Mini or iPad 4th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Benz63amg, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Yup.. the time has come, like the title says, i just sold my iPad 3 and ready to buy a new iPad.

I am going to get the 4th gen iPad, its a powerhouse compared to the iPad mini, also the iPad mini doesn't have a Retina display either(we all know thats coming next year probably for the iPad mini) so this isn't a good time to get a Mini probably..

so yea, what are YOU buying this friday?

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

After reading about the bad display on the mini, I've changed my mind.

I will let Friday pass, then order a new Nexus 4 from Google Play next week.

It's got everything I want, except it's not made by Apple.

If only they would have built a phone to the Nexus specs I'd be thrilled.

Oh well... there's always next year.

http://bgr.com/2012/10/31/ipad-mini-criticism-display/

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Ya i mean its pretty clear man, next year the iPad mini will get a Retina display,

at the moment, its basically an iPad 2 in a smaller case.. sure the the design is much nicer but thats all, performance wise its like an iPad 2,

the PPI count on the Mini is almost HALF of the iPad 4th's Retina Display PPI

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"Bad display," good lord. Could it be sharper? Yes. Is it "bad? No. C'mon. It'll be sharper than the iPad 2 display, which I've been very happily using for a year and a half.

----------

Same ram, processor, graphics. Better cameras, wifi, cellular. Has Siri.

And 163 =/= 1/2 of 264.

5. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Neither. I've had my iPad 3 on Craigslist since the new ones were announced and only two people have replied, offering me ridiculously low offers, so I've decided I'll just keep it. I'm not gonna give it away like that.

The only reason I'd get the iPad 4 is for the Lightning connector. Having to deal with two different cords is annoying me beyond words. I only use my iPad for email, Safari, iMessage, and Facebook/Twitter and I might use FaceTime once a year, so I'd benefit very little from the A6X processor and the HD FaceTime camera. Maybe skipping a version (for once!) will make me appreciate the redesigned iPad 5 next year. I'm hoping it's launched at WWDC.

6. iAi macrumors 6502

"Bad display"

Really? You believe those crap?

iPad 2 looks good and it is bigger!

7. WLS macrumors 65816

Gonna go mini this year. The big iPad is too awkward for me and the weight aggravates my tendonitis. Sure maybe there will be a retina screen in a year or so but I want a tablet for now and can upgrade when the retina comes out.

8. fsumom macrumors regular

The retina fanatics seriously crack me up. I bet for the average user, the screen will be perfectly fine! I bought the mini for my 6 year old. My step-mom has the iPad 2, and I think the screen looks just fine!

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

iPad mini, definitely.

I already have my iPad 2 as my 'big' tablet. I think the added portability of the mini (size, but possibly weight even more so) will make it infinitely more useful to me.

The retina iPad doesn't interest me at the moment. Too fat, too heavy. Put it on a diet for the next revision and I'll upgrade the iPad 2. :)

10. iAi macrumors 6502

Retina is awesome but screen in iP2 is very good - I will never believe another word of any person again who will say it is / has a bad display.

11. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

no one said its a bad display, HOWEVER,

How will you feel next year when the Magic words will appear saying " The New iPad Mini with DOUBLE the resolution" ? that would kindda suck and we all KNOW for SURE that its gonna happen next year

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Nobody knows for sure. Heck, iPad didn't get the retina treatment until the 3rd generation.

I'm buying a mini now, most likely!

13. bigboar macrumors 6502

why would that be a surprise? electronics of all types are updated!! I will gladly use the mini this year and when an updated version comes out I will sell it and get the new one... If you think like your post you should never buy any electronic devices....

14. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

well to each his own, im just saying that it should have a RETINA DISPLAY NOW, not next year.. thats all.

15. iAi macrumors 6502

I want the iPad mini now and will most likely buy the next gen (if compelling enough with or without the retina) - I always buy the latest version as I give my older gadgets (greatest among it's generation / peers) to my loved ones.

iPad mini is THE ONE even without the retina.

16. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

The cellular mini won't be out this Friday, so none.

17. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

So you didn't like the iPad mini display and therefore get a Nexus phone...? Ya that makes sense.

Btw. I got the current/now old? Nexus phone, and it's great but it took Google 6 months to fix basic problems. I regretted many times not getting the iPhone. Now it works, though.

18. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

So what? Then we will just get the new mini and be in possession of 2 minis. I don't see the problem.

19. Hpye macrumors 6502

i have no problem using macbook pro 13 inch with 113 pip, lower than ipad mini. i know that the view from my eyes to macbook pro is a bit further than ipad mini but i dont think i am going to look at ipad mini really close.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The apple apologists will defend it not being there this year saying that it's not necessary and not technically plausible. They will then dance when the retina version is announced next year and act like it's manna falling from heaven.

21. KenAFSPC, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Good point. Most are using monitors and notebooks on a daily basis that have a lower pixel density than the iPad mini.

Apple could not produce a Retina Mini this year because a) the technology is still too expensive for use in a $329 device, and b) curent Retina displays consume too much power. With the Retina displays available today, the iPad Mini's 16.7Wh battery would provide no more than 6-7 hours of battery life.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

23. BetaZehn macrumors newbie

just pre-ordered iPad 4 at Fona, Denmark. Still not sure its the right one.. maybe Mini is more for me??? :D

24. hobx macrumors regular

Sold my 3rd gen on Monday, and have not been happy without one this week! Will be picking up a 4 tomorrow. Not only am I excited about the a6 but I do a lot of facetiming with family abroad, so FINALLY having a facetime HD camera is going to be great.....

Working on convincing my fiance to sell her ipad 2 and get a mini though, so there will at least be one in the family.... ;)

25. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Selling my 3rd Gen iPad to get a mini.

The lack of a retina display is a pity but also not a deal breaker. I was perfectly happy with my iPad 2.

When I went to the iPad 3, I wasn't overly blown away by the screen (although I can tell a difference when I go back to the iPad2 now) or the performance for what I use it for. I was disappointed with the battery life though. The retina display sucks power faster than the iPad 2 used to.

The smaller form of the iPad Mini is just what I want so it'll be fine. If it gets updated to retina display in the future, I'll consider upgrading at the time.