Sooo...where does my right pinky go now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHawaii, Sep 22, 2012.

1. iHawaii macrumors member

Being a right-hand dominant dude, I hold the phone with that hand. My right pinky is always used to support the iPhone on the bottom, which I believe is quite common... I am sure most everyone holding their phone right now instinctively just ran this test and will agree. When I have my earpods plugged in, it's forcing me to almost latch onto the earpods connector that feeds into the dock while texting. This may cause some early retirement for pods/connector issues over time. Just something non-ergonomically correct, in my opinion.

My wife, on the other hand (see what I did there?), is left-handed. She hasn't used my 5 yet, so no idea how the southpaws are going to be affected.

Still, digging my new 5.

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

3. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

In all of the commercials it shows people holding it with all 4 fingers on the left side of the phone. Not me though. I have always used my right pinky as an iPhone kickstand :)

4. txflyfish macrumors member

I was taught not to use my pinky to support a subcompact pistol with an extend magazine. It's funny but my pinky dangles when I hold the phone

5. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

As I was reading this post on my iPhone 4, I looked at my right pinky and its at the same spot as you describe LOL. I'm right handed and my pinky is on the bottom right next to the left speaker on the iPhone 4. This worries me about iPhone 5 with headphones jack on the bottom left corner of the phone. It sounds like it will be akwarder holding your phone while your listening to music.

6. Blinny83 macrumors member

I noticed this earlier today. It is a little awkward. Especially with the giant 3.5mm plug end on my m-50 cans.

7. xmarcuswildx macrumors 6502

Weird I'm right hand dominant but I use my left hand to hold my phone 0.o

8. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I have always wondered if most other people hold it that way, because I do. I have just been teaching myself to put all four fingers on the other side. It's tricky at first because my habit is to support the base with my pinky.

9. AlexJaye macrumors regular

10. txflyfish macrumors member

Lols my plug is thicker than the phone as well

11. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I am right handed but I hold my phone with my left hand. It just feels more natural to use my more dextrous hand for dialing and navigating the screens. I also have my pinkie finger under the bottom of the phone, but seeing as it's my left hand, it causes no issues with the headphones.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

13. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

14. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Same here, right handed but I use my phone with my left hand so no issue with the headphone jack however I do find the phone uncomfortable to use like this anymore because of the length.

With the old iPhone, I had my pinkie under the phone bottom (under the 30 pin connector). Now I can't reach the top of the phone holding it like that so it's forcing me to hold the phone by the side like you see in the Apple ads. My wife is hating it since her hands are much smaller and she's not even open to the idea of holding it different. :p

15. iHawaii thread starter macrumors member

I am more than a little surprised it took 11 comments for this one to show up. This isn't my first rodeo with launch week on MR.

:)

----------

Yep - agreed. I don't have small hands, I have just had slippery phones. 3G, 4 (bumper be damned), 4S and now 5. That pinky is a failsafe for me, because I haven't used a case from the 4 on, and I am not going to start now. To me, that is like leaving the lampshade wrappers on, like Grandma used to do. You got it, flaunt it.

16. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

Steve would never let you hold the phone like that :)

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Most lefthanded people hold it the same way, at least those old enough to have grown up with rotary dial phones. Reason? It's almost impossible to dial a rotary phone with your left hand.

Also, most left handed people use the right hand for the trackpad, mouse and (of course) numeric keypad.

18. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

So apparently I do the 4 finger thing and the pinky as well. Guess depends how much I'm living on the edge at that moment lol

19. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil