Sooo... why is the headphone jack on the bottom?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MultiMediaWill, Sep 12, 2012.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Now that the keynote is over, did Apple ever say why they moved the headphone jack to the bottom?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't know why, but I think it is beyond idiotic.

3. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

4. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

It is truly stupid. It's those little things that turn me off.

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

6. Brisby macrumors newbie

IMO I think its a pretty decent design choice. I use my iPhone at work as my iPod so when I get calls or text messages I always see them upside down. With the headset plug on the bottom I will be able to quickly see who's calling without having to readjust my phone. It kinda makes sense to me that way...

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It's on the bottom so it will fit in the internals. I don't think it is a design decision.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Personally, I prefer it on the bottom. I naturally put the phone in my pocket upside down, so it seems appropriate to have the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone. Setting it on the table in front of you would also work out better with the jack at the bottom.

To each his own. Not sure why either way is stupid or idiotic.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Not sure why but it's dumb - can't video chat and stand up my phone against something now :confused:

10. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

when its in your pocket you dont need to pull the phone all the way out to use the screen ;)

plus its the correct way up to look at it when its pulled out ya pocket with the plug at the bottom

11. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

FINALLY they have moved it to the bottom where it belongs!! I've been waiting for them to do that since I saw it on the iPod touch.

Thank you Apple!!!

12. KTS1010 macrumors newbie

I love the idea so when I have it it my pocket the cord won't have to be tangled at the top. I always have my phone in my pocket upside down so when I pull it out it will be right side up. The new placement I think makes much more sense then the top.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It was to save space. But I've always been used to the jack being on the top, but it does make sense to have it on the bottom depending on how you put your phone in your pocket.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

Sooo much better being at the bottom. Imagine the way you put your phone in your pocket with the headphones still in...it makes sense.

15. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i've never understood why it's on the top in the 1st place. When you have it plugged in and you use the screen the cord gets all in the way.

16. bjarkebech macrumors newbie

The problem with the bottom headphone jack is that it makes holding the phone impossible with headphones plugged in. If you're right handed your pinky will be in the way of the headphone jack...

[​IMG]

Bad design desicion, Apple!

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Take a look at an exploded view of the top of the iphone 5 and you'll have your answer. It had to fit somewhere.

18. jj47 macrumors regular

Stupid moving it to the bottom. I don't want to have my phone upside down in my pocket. Also I can't have the headphones in while docked.

19. velo macrumors member

Exactly where it belongs. Now I don't have to reach into my pocket have the thing the wrong way up in my hand then have to flip it around to sit properly. It's the only time I worry about dropping my iPhone.

20. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yes this Nexus did this right.

Having the jack on the bottom makes perfect sense. It's more natural in your pocket and doesn't let the cord get in the way of your viewing the screen.

21. outphase macrumors 65816

Holding it the way you do makes my hand hurt.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Impossible? Strange that I never noticed this problem when using an iPod Touch.

Out of curiousity, why not?

Obviously, the Apple dock has a headphone jack, but maybe you are referring to something else?

23. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I had an iPod Touch for years and liked the headphone jack on the bottom. When you are holding the phone in portrait the cord points towards you and puts less strain on the cord.

24. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

This!

25. Username02 macrumors regular

We're going to need a dock in the first place before we can worry about that...

I really hope there is some sort of dock announced soon.