Sorry but we can’t accept cash here

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, May 28, 2019.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

perhaps a way to keep out the homeless and poor?

3. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

It’s interesting because Tender Greens only accepts credit card or payment via smartphone. Ok if you have it but what if one does not have a credit card..? Does that mean they can not but food using cash..?

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

One way around is if you have an account at a bank, you can get a debit card that only has the amount of money on it that you have in it's account. Thus no credit check is necessary, and it doesn't have an interest rate. I would trust an established financial institution over a business any time.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I would think the Gub'ment would embrace a cashless society; it makes living off the grid, living unnoticed harder. If you have to pay everything with a CC, the Bank can trace your spending habits, your location, your timeline and so on. That kind of stuff Big Brother likes.

Oh going cashless makes it harder for business to cook the books. Cash asset in accounting is the secret sauce; it's the wildcard. You can make millions appear or disappear with some clever use of cash expenditures. Just my opinion as a bean counter, but these no-cash places are shooting themselves in the foot.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

From a employer stand point it has to be a hell of a lot easier on everyone to not require your cashiers to balance their drawers out after every shift or hold them accountable for every missing penny. Also makes the place a horrible target for being robbed.

7. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

This sounds like a uniquely American problem. In Australia it's been law (for years) that businesses must accept valid currency: i.e. they can't force you to use a card, they can't refuse service because you want to pay cash, or want to pay in 5c coins, or whatever.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

organized crime is a cash business... as long as we have OC, laundering money will prevent a cashless society.

9. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

What? Maybe, businesses dont want to pay those CC fees.

10. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

Not any more

'Cause a man with a briefcase
    can steal more money
    Than any man with a gun"

-Don Henley

11. raqball macrumors 68000

The other issue I see with this is some places charge an additional fee to use card. I know its pretty standard in places like California.... They add a CC transaction fee to your total..

12. benshive macrumors regular

I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand you're hurting poorer customers who are more likely to use cash. On the other hand there's no register full of cash sitting around in the store.

13. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

This. What other reason could there be? I get not taking checks, but cash? The legal currency of one's country?

14. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

not necessarily. Also, no cash is a data-mining goldmine...

15. benshive macrumors regular

Safety and convenience. There's no need to worry about keeping a register stocked with enough coins to give change, no need to count the register at the end of each night, no need to worry about being robbed, etc. I don't like the idea of cashless stores but I can see some reasons for it other than keeping the poor out.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Big Brother disapproves of your disclosing Government not-so-secret secrets. Report to Room 101 of MiniLuv for... alterations:eek:, Citizen blackfox.:p:D:D

17. sean000, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I haven't run into any cashless businesses in our city, but for most businesses card/electronic payments are clearly preferred. From the employee's perspective it is simply faster and easier to process a card transaction (or an electronic wireless payment) than a cash payment. This is why some businesses (e.g., coffee shops) have an express line for cashless payments and the cash transactions require waiting in a slower line. I find that our local food trucks also prefer cashless transactions, but they will take cash.

As someone who spent nearly a decade waiting tables and making change for cash transactions without the aid of a cash register or calculator, I have to cringe when I offer a cash payment and watch someone struggle to figure out the change. Even when they have a cash register it seems like a clumsy process for them to simply handle the money and count it out.

We do have a few businesses that are cash only. One is a very popular ice cream shop that often has a line out the door in the warmer months. We always forget that it's cash only until we are halfway through the line. They have an ATM that charges a fee, but if you give them the receipt they will deduct the fee from your ice cream bill.

I work on a college campus and my casual observation is that people in their 20's rarely pay for anything with cash these days. Older people tend to pay for small transactions (less than $5) in cash because we remember a time when many businesses had a policy that they would accept credit cards only for transactions of $5 or more (sometimes the minimum was even higher). This was due to the fees the credit card companies charged to retailers. It's a hard habit to break. I actually prefer using my Apple Watch or card instead of cash, but I find myself paying cash without thinking about it... at least for small transactions. And yes... I agree that not accepting cash is a problem for the reasons stated (discriminates against those who do not have cards or smartphones; tracks your purchases and location). I prefer cashless for the convenience, but I should also be able to pay cash if I want to.

18. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

They will just rob the stuff instead. This is already happening, see Seattle...
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2019 ---
    College campuses aren't usually synonymous with the poor. My bet is the young poor still use cash.

19. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I used to think that, but one of the two owners of the retail business I worked at told me he preferred paying the credit card fees because it was cheaper than the labor to manage cash, it was much easier and more accurate. For credit card purchases, the books essentially balanced themselves.

20. LeeW macrumors 6502a

LeeW

My office canteen recently switched to cashless, of course, one day the card machine went down. The solution? Everyone writes down their name and signs a sheet with how much they spent and had to go back at some point to pay. No surprise that colleagues such as A Capone and R Hood never returned to pay...

21. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

With cash there is manual accounting, balancing the tills and books, ensuring you have sufficient change at all times, accidents in handling, safe storage, risk of counterfeit money, physical movement from tills to office, costs to transport safely to banks, possibility of cooking the books, grifters playing money tricks, insurance costs, theft concerns all along the way, and increased threat of violence from armed robbery.

With a CC, the retailer pays ~2% which eliminates all of the above. You instantly get accounting, records, and 98% of the money.

That sounds pretty good to me even if there is no homeless issue.

22. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

You are correct, and our city has a higher population of homeless youth than most... but they are still a very small percentage of the under-30 population in our city. It's not just the college students, but young people in general (provided they have credit cards and smartphones... which most of them do) prefer to not deal with cash. Even most low income people under 30 (provided they aren't homeless) have a bank account with a debit card... and many own a smartphone. I hire mostly work-study students who come from lower income families. As someone who has had to live on a tight budget myself at times, I found that using a debit card made it easier for me to budget from one month to the next because purchases were being tracked... so there are some upsides to it besides convenience. Then there are downsides as well.

23. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

Trust me, employees can still find ways to rip off employers. As for robber hitting the store, you don't have to be very smart to be a robber, but, it works out, the stupid ones are easier to catch!

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I work across the street from a high end mall, and a big part of the fast food restaurants in there have gone cashless. They just opened a new Amazon GO store and I would say about half of the restaurants in the food court have signs up that they are cashless. Worth noting though that the stores in there are the likes of Gucci, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc... so I'm sure all the clientele that walks in there uses credit cards / debit cards.

25. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I thought the US also had a law that they must accept a valid currency..
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2019 ---
    There is a positive and negative side to not accepting cash just as there is a positive and negative side to not accepting credit cards.