Sorry for another of these: The 1,000th "Help me decide which macbook to buy" thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Done10, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Done10 macrumors newbie

Hey so here's my situation: I'm a college senior, working on my secondary education degree. I'll be student teaching in the fall, then graduating. My computer usage is very basic; microsoft office, web-browsing, etc...
    I'm just done with Windows, and ready to move back to Mac OS. So could I get some advice out of these options:

-The previous cycle of macbook pros, currently being sold on apple.com for $929

-The new cycle of macbook pros from macconnection, for $1049 after rebate

-The new macbooks from microcenter for $800 after rebate.

First, as money (or lack thereof) is a fairly prominent factor for me, is spending the extra money for a pro worth it? I know that a macbook can handle all I will be doing, is the extra investment worth it?

Edit: Obviously, 13" base model for all these choices.
    A fourth option would be to wait until the back to school promo is, but I don't know if that would be worth it, or save me any additional money. Thank you very much for your help!

2. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I agree with the previous poster. I've been reading these threads since the release with some bemusement; I have a 2006 Macbook that I'm using right now and I have found it more than able to meet the needs that you describe (which are similar to my own needs.)

I know that there will be arguments about "future proofing" and all that, but when money *is* an issue, there's no shame in going with the cheapest device that will meet your needs. I think the current Macbooks are a very nice buy. The only thing I seriously envy about the newer products is the ability to add more memory than the 2 gigs I'm limited to, and the improved battery life -- both of which you have with a Macbook.

I think the back to school program might give you a rebate on an iPod or a printer. If those are things you want, then you should wait. But I'd be surprised if the prices are significantly lower.

Good luck with your student teaching!

3. dcoux09 macrumors member

I finished my student teaching last fall, you'll have fun!

I would hands down without a doubt go with a pro. Backlit keyboard, aluminum, thinner, sd card reader, firewire 400, 4gb ram, bigger hard drive all for 200 bucks more. You'll save 100 with your college discount too. I'm waiting to buy a pro and for the apple promotion. Historically, it usually happens in late June or early May. Through the program at UConn, we get issued a MacBook, and it just not as sleek or durable as the Pro's... a backlit keyboard comes in handy more often than you would expect too.

4. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I would go for the MBP. It has a bit more screen real estate, which is small but significant. I always feel handicapped when I use my girlfriends MB.

5. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

Go with one of the current computers. A close friend of mine was in a situation similar to your where money was a big factor and after helping her I learned that hands down you are getting a better computer/value with one of the current models. Hope it helps!

6. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

MBP all of the way. I'm using a late 2009 unibody 13, and it does everything I need and more. You won't regret dropping the extra green on the pro.

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

If your computer needs are basic, then go with the cheapest MacBook you can find, things like screen real estate and graphics performance will mean nothing. However, I bet you're asking because you want us to help you justify buying a more powerful machine ;). It's ok, I'd do that too. If you think you will need a more powerful machine in the near future the go with the pro, otherwise, stick to the basics.

8. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

+1....
    -The new macbooks from microcenter for $800 after rebate. = killer deal for you for now. It will do everything and more that you "need". :D

Now if you "want" a MBP the go for it.... :cool:

It's all about "needs" and "wants"

9. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

On the BTS Promo:
    Starts late May typically.
    Say you bought the base $1100 (or $900) MBP/MB, then you pay an additional $230ish ontop of that and buy the iPod. You pay another $100 and buy the printer. You take the rebate form and go on like and type in your receipt code. In one month they send you back the extra $329ish you paid.

So if you can afford being out $300 for a month then do it.

Once you get the iPod, feel free to sell it. Because the market is swamped, expect to get $160-180 for it. You might be able to return it unopened to a chain store, usually the bar codes are the same, I don't know I usually just eBay the things.

Anyways, the final price you pay, after one month, would be 'like' $900 for a MBP, and $700 (or 750 i forgot) for the MB.

The printer isn't worth selling.
    The cheapest apple printer right now on amazon.com is going for maby $30. The Ink cartridges for that printer are selling for $25-$35. it's funny how the ink is worth more than the printer. Maby you could sell the ink, and then then printer, maximize profits. Just sell to someone who 'doesn't know' it was free.

So there you have it. If you can spare the cash now do it. If you are strapped, don't get the ipod and go with the MB.

Either way, the main difference between the MB and MBP is the metal.
    Real Feel factor is the same. both will work for your chores.
    It just depends on how much money you want to spend.
    Of course the MBP has more 'value' for the money, but it's more expensive.

10. Done10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yo.
    So I still haven't made my final decision.
    I've heard that the unibody macbooks get really dirty/scratched, especially the bottom pad. I also like the look of the pro more.
    Are these superficial reasons enough to justify spending the extra $100ish?

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I bought the $799 (instant rebate) MacBook from MicroCenter less than 2 weeks ago. This has to be the best deal there is and since you indicated money is a factor then you should consider this option seriously.

Sitting next the MBP in a store the MBP will win all the beauty contests. But, at home, by itself it is really nice looking. This is much faster and smoother than I expected, and is totally silent. I bought 4Gb of RAM and upgraded the MP and added the 2GB from the MB to my iMac get 6GB out of that. This gave a nice boost to Photoshop.

The only thing I thought I would regret is the backlit keys of the MBP but in reality I do not really miss it since I can easily see the keys in dim light. With the lights off that is not true but working in the dark is not good anyway for these old eyes.

As for keeping it clean. I bought the $19 iKlear kit with the spray bottle and micro fiber cloths and this easily removes prints on the body and screen. I use canned air to clean the dust off the keyboard - which is not noticeable since dust does not really show on white. I also bought a case, not Incase but a similar case, that I keep the laptop in when not in use and also use it to rest the MB on dirty tables like at a MacDonalds, so I do not get it dirty or scratched.

If you are on a budget the $799 deal at MicroCenter is the way to go. Add 4GB of ram for about $100 and you essentially have the same performance as a the base 13" MBP. You lose backlit keys, firewire, and the 'cooler look' of the MBP. But, you save several hundred dollars and are buying a computer for a price you might be able to sell it for in a year for now making it s good investment.

12. Christina1971 macrumors regular

You have to know that's a question that no one else can answer for you. :) Since you keep asking, though, I'm going to play pop psychologist and suggest that you want "permission" to buy the more expensive computer even though a cheaper one can probably fit your needs fine (it's not like you're going to be looking at the bottom of your computer while you use it, so who cares how dirty it may or may not get?)

So, buy the Macbook Pro that it seems that you want, and enjoy! It's your money, and if you have it, you should spend it on what makes you happy.

ETA: Just to throw another option in the mix, the school district where you will be teaching may have some favorable Apple Store dealio for its employees. I don't mean to muddy the waters, it's just another thing to think about (or at least to research)

13. Done10 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's some good pop psychology. Yeah, even though money is a bit tight I think I've mentally prepared myself to spend the extra cash for the pro.