Sorry if this is a dumb ??: Can I use my iMac to display Apple TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RickRack, Feb 9, 2014.

1. RickRack macrumors newbie

Apple TV is designed to take stuff from your computer and display it on your TV. But what if you wanted to play stuff from Apple TV to your iMac?

Basically using the Apple TV as an organizer with a remote control. Possible?

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

iMac's don't have a video in port. However, I have to ask why you would do this? iTunes can do everything the apple tv can including work with a remote.

3. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly.

Apple designed the TV to do what iTunes does without the computer in the way.

4. RickRack thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the thing... I bought the little white plastic remote figuring I could use it to control my iMac just like they always did. But I discovered that the late 2013 iMacs don't have an IR receiver. So... unless you know something I don't... I have to get a USB IR receiver. If there is another way... please let me know... if so, I obviously don't know what I am talking about... which is quite possible as I haven't paid too much attention to all the changes in Macs for awhile. I bought an iMac in 2005 and just used it until I bought another one in 2009. Now I have a brand new one. Things have obviously changed while I was just doing what I like to do best: just turn the computer on surf the net and listen to music with iTunes and watch DVDs.

Meaning I need to come to these forums and ask dumb and semi dumb questions about stuff I don't completely understand.

Know what I mean, Jellybean? ;)

TIA!

5. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Do you have an iPhone or iPad/iPod touch? There is an app that will control iTunes that is free.

6. RickRack thread starter macrumors newbie

Right... I have heard of that. But no... I don't have any of those.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, if you don't have an iPhone/iPad/iPod then there is, of course, no way you will be able to get the IR remote to work with the iMac. However, you could invest in a Bluetooth 3.0 remote like this one from Satechi.

8. RickRack thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Of course... a bluetooth remote. I did not know about such a thing and it solves my problem... solves it with style... sometimes I get frustrated with Apple... but the real frustration is with myself for lagging behind.

Perfect solution... Thank YOU! :)

9. RickRack thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to update: I bought the Satechi. It controls iTunes and DVD Player without modification. I got it to control Netflix on Safari by creating macros with Keyboard Maestro.

Thanks for the help. :)