Sorry scaplers, but this won't be your year for iPad's

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jp700p, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jp700p, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

jp700p macrumors regular

We are now into the 2nd day, and Apple.com still shows all models with launch day delivery.

I tried to place a mock order (Didn't click confirm) and the website operated smooth and fast.

Apple obviously made plenty of iPads to go around this year and/or the demand for iPad 3 is lower.

2. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

Site still says White 16gb and 64gb At&T models are to ship on the 19th. At the moment, we don't know why there are still plenty of ipads available. Very well could be the demand is not there.

3. jp700p thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, my browser (Firefox) still shows 16th, probably because I didn't clear the cache.

4. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I think the biggest telltale sign that resellers will barely break even is the fact that they are launching the new iPad worldwide in a week's span. No shortage this year.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's the first day after the announcement. You realize there's still 8 days to go before launch and it could very well sell out before then right? And out come the lines/scalpers when the only way to get one launch day is to line up.

6. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Yup, once dates start getting pushed back, people start panicking and stop waiting to put in their orders.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Demand is there. It took the Apple site a few hours to get it's sea legs back yesterday when the event was over due to everyone trying to preorder at the same time.

Apple is launching in the U.S. and multiple other countries this year simultaneous. That is a first. Then another launch round the following week so it seems clear to me they built enough to survive at least a few days online + launch day everywhere.

8. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

Given the lack hardware enhancements and design changes to the New iPad, Apple probably began building the new ipads many months ago. And most of the parts being used are already on hand for apple as they are shared with other devices. My gut says this is a combination of lower demand and apple being prepared this time around (no overseas part shortages either to deal with).

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Actually, we arent even passed the first day yet. iPad has been on sale for around 18 hours in the US, and 16 hours in the UK/Europe.

End of thread.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

It'll be interesting to see. You might be right, you might be a bit premature.

You can't really draw a parallel between last year and this year.

Preorders haven't sold out yet - but we're less than 24 hours post-announcement instead of eight days post-announcement. The mass media hasn't really run with it yet, and I expect there's not as much general knowledge of the release yet.

jp700p - why don't you come back to this thread on Thursday afternoon next week and let's see what the expected delivery times are for all models. Then we'll have a sense of what to expect.

11. bjmach macrumors 6502

I think the Japan Tsunami last year played a role in shortages for Ipad 2. It was launched at the same time that the Tsunami hit

12. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I cancelled my 2nd order. To break even on say the 32GB 4G, you have to sell at $100 above list price JUST to break even on eBay. (and that is with a low 5.1% tax rate) And then if other sellers offer free shipping, that adds even more to the break even point.

13. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

i see no hurt in trying to buy extra and resell for a small profit ($75 so one doesn't have to stand in line?)...you can easily return to apple on the 14th day without any risk...

14. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Less than 24 hours

It's less than 24 hours and delivery times are slipping already. This thing is a MUST upgrade for people who love their iPads and convincing some of us to dive in for the first time.

That said, is it worth it to sell at a premium if we already ordered just to rebuy one-two months later (and therefore get a $200-$300 'discount')

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

The ship dates are already starting to slip. Obviously they planned better than last time. But I predict that shortly after launch day, new iPads will be rarer than hen's teeth.

16. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

Agreed.

17. richard371 macrumors 68000

China

china has a very high demand and they are not being released there anytime soon. There will be scalpers and long lines at the Apple store come launch day lol as usual.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

People always wait till the last minute. Maybe it's different this time, but I'm betting scalpers will still make money.

19. ktmracer350 macrumors member

Even if they had made a ton more it really doesn't matter much since in about two years they sold 55 million ipads and are expected to sell 55 million in ones years time from now and must have stock for all the other countries that they are releasing it to a on launch day and then a couple days later.

20. jreuschl macrumors 6502

24 hours? On 2 models? The iPad 2 delivery times slipped within a few hours in the middle of the night.

21. vtstarck macrumors regular

This is a meaningless metric without knowing production numbers.

22. note235 macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's true considering
    + new screen with yield issue rumors
    + new design
    + new camera
    + new batteries

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

You forgot: last time orders didn't start until eight and a half days after it was announced, so there potentially was pent up demand that didn't exist for the current preorder.

Let's see where we stand this time next week.

24. wirelessness macrumors 6502

I sold my iPad 1st Gen 16GB WiFi for $300 a few weeks ago and plan to pick up a similar iPad 2 on craigslist for my young son. People are CL are asking ridiculous prices for iPad 2's right now. I assumed the price would plummet. Maybe after launch day?

25. orlandocano macrumors regular

There were no pre-orders available for the iPad 2. Everyone had to stand in line if I am not mistaken.