Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alana22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
Is the only benefit to pre-ordering merely avoiding the crowds/hassle of visiting one of the brick and mortar stores on the release date?

Unlike the iPad, I don't recall Apple stores running out of iPhones on opening day the last time around -- or am I wrong?

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
It's true. From what I can tell this is only comparable to the hype of the very first iPhone.

In my specific case this is the first year it's not just me getting one, but my partner and my mother are also getting one. I expect these to sell out fairly quickly. The first shipment anyway... Without a doubt.

This time is different, everyone and their grandma wants an iPhone.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Is the only benefit to pre-ordering merely avoiding the crowds/hassle of visiting one of the brick and mortar stores on the release date?

Unlike the iPad, I don't recall Apple stores running out of iPhones on opening day the last time around -- or am I wrong?

It makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
You can have the phone delivered to your house on release day.

No lines, no crowd, no store visit.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008

Apple Stores, not every town has them.

With the 3G and 3GS every store here that sold them were sold out, with lines starting VERY early.

alana22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
You can have the phone delivered to your house on release day.

No lines, no crowd, no store visit.

If I currently use a different phone, one lacking a data plan, I'd imagine having it delivered to my home will involve me also having to also call ATT and change my plan to include a data plan? I wonder if it would be that easy, or if anything other than upgrading from one iphone to another would require going to an Apple store just to avoid confusion/snags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.