Sort Albums by Year of Release in iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Corey Grandy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Corey Grandy macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if there is any way to sort the any particular artist's albums by the year of release, rather than alphabetically, in the iPhone?

Basically I'm looking to go from this order:
    [​IMG]

To having the albums listed as follows:
    Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666
    Razorblade Romance
    Deep Shadows & Brilliant Highlights
    Love Metal
    Dark Light
    Venus Doom
    Screamworks: Love In Theory & Practice
    Screamworks: Love In Theory & Practice (Baudelaire In Braille)

I know it's extremely simple in iTunes, but I'm sure it is impossible in the phone for one reason or another. Regardless, thought I'd ask; any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    CG

2. Nebulance macrumors 6502

Nebulance

hmm -- how do you do it in iTunes? (I'm curious).

The only thing I could come up with, given how iTunes is basically laid out like a database alphabetizing everything, you could put [2007] in front of the album, for example for an album that came out in 2007. That should work

3. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I am not sure of a method directly on the iPhone, but you can create a custom playlist in iTunes and sort it by year. Sync that playlist to the iPhone and the songs will be in order of year.

4. Corey Grandy thread starter macrumors 6502

In iTunes you can keep clicking on the Album column until it says "Album by Year". That sorts your entire library by artist and then sorts every artist's albums by the years they were released (if you have such information entered). Basically looking for the same thing for the phone, but I guess it's impossible.

In example, for A.F.I. I have only 4 songs; 3 on Decemberunderground and 1 on Sing The Sorrow. Traditionally, Decemberunderground would come first in the list. However, when the dates for each album are entered (2003 for Sing The Sorrow and 2006 for Decemberunderground) and "Album by Year" is selected, the list changes to look like this:
    [​IMG]