So's how's storage working out now that more and more apps use retina gfx?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, Apr 12, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Every app that's been updated for Retina has only been about 5-15% more space from what I've seen. That's not a whole lot...

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool, that's good news. :)

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote would disagree with you.

5. oli356 macrumors 6502

I can't say I've seen many of my apps be updated to be honest. Possibly regretting buying the 32GB version not the 16. Though surely all apps will eventually be updated. And one of the main reasons for buying the 32 anyway was for the few times when I go away I won't have to think carefully what videos I put on my iPad.

Considering anyway I bought the 32GB version and then got £80 refund, I can't complain.

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

They ballooned in size because of extra features. Retina would have had an effect, but wouldn't account for most of the file size increases those apps saw.

7. andross77 macrumors regular

yeah, 16gb is working out perfectly for me. Glad i saved $200 to spend on other stuff :) I don't have one app that has doubled in size BECAUSE OF the retina display ( i don't have pages or numbers but even if i did as a previous poster said the increase in app size was from added features, not just retina update).

16gb for the new iPad is pretty much the same as 16gb for the iPad 2 (not exactly, but close :))

8. urkel macrumors 68030

For those short on storage then the problem is more about feature bloat rather than retina enhancements. IMovie (60MB -> 700MB) and Garage Band (400MB -> 1.1GB) in particular increased substantially in size but (IMO) what they brought to the iPad weren't worth the space.

The reason I have Garage Band installed is because I WANT to use it and it's only a few hundred MB. But in reality I just don't use the app and with it now OVER 1GB then it's just not worth the space.

And with the iMovies App then the new Trailers feature is such a one-time novelty trick that it should've been an optional add-on rather than something built in and making the iMovies app so huge.

When our 32GB iPad 2 restore didn't fit our 32GB iPad 3 then I ended up just exchanging for a 64GB. It's not the ideal solution for most people but it did hide the problem for us so now if I ever run into a group of incredibly white and perfect college kids who want to have a Garage Band jam session then Ill be ready.

9. erawsd macrumors 6502

Yeah, the change hasn't been nearly as dramatic as it was hyped to be. Normal applications are barely any bigger and many of the games are just turning up the resolution and staying within 100-200mb of its original size. Heck, Infinity Blade 2 got smaller...

10. Legios macrumors regular

I use what I need appwise and fill up the rest with Movies, I dont keep music on it since thats what the iphone is for. 64gb is the only way to go for me, tons of games and Movies all at my fingertips or those of my kids.