SOS MBP no responding and out of free space!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vero-D, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Vero-D macrumors newbie

Many people using this MBP nobody cared to let me know we were running out of space. Today I was downloading a big file (1GB) when I got the "running out of space" alert message. Went to open info in the HD and I saw only 255MB were left. I opened trash to empty it but before I could hit "empty trash" the system froze. Trackpad and keyboard are not responding... I don't know what to do. It has been like that for almost an hour now.

What should I do?! It's a MBPr running Maverick... I'm leaving this afternoon for a trip and need to bring my computer...

Thanks in advance!

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

You'll have to do a hard restart. The system should come back up and which point you can empty the trash. You prob will have to redownload the file. If you can't get it to boot back up, I'd target it with another mac and pull up the drive in terminal and remove the ~./Trashes directory which is the same thing as emptying the trash.

3. Vero-D thread starter macrumors newbie

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do a hard restart? And if that doest work where can I find UFO (step-by-step) in how to target it with another macbook?

Thanks for your help!

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Hold the power button down until it turns off. ;)

TDM will require another Thunderbolt equipped Mac and a Thunderbolt cable. I wouldn't worry about that for now, it's a last resort.

5. Vero-D thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much to both of you! It did work.... I can breath now...