SOS Please Help! Erased the All Documents Folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meanwire, Oct 15, 2010.

1. meanwire macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 15" MacBook Pro that I'm trying to clean up to give to my wife, well I think I did a bad thing. As I was going through things to delete in the trash, I accidentally deleted the "All Documents Folder", now I can't get any of the apps to work. I haven't emptied the trash bin. So I thought maybe I could copy them back to my desktop, well that wasn't a good thing since there was like 12,000 files and it really slowed the laptop down. So I thought I would do a complete clean install using the original start up disk. Well following the instruction to restart the computer, after the restart I get a diagonal screen and can't read it because the picture is staggered. So I eject the install disc and restart the laptop and everything is fine, but still can't open anything, because it says app can't is in the trash. Please help me.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The "All Documents" shortcut on the Sidebar is not a folder per se, it is a saved search for all documents on the Mac, including files programs might need to properly run, thus using the "All Documents" shortcut to delete all documents is not advised.

If you have backed up all the data you need, what about an Erase and Install (Mac OS X 10.5) or a Clean Install (10.6)?

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

3. meanwire thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try to do an erase and install, but I can't. After installing disc 1 and following the instruction of restarting it, I get a diagonal screen and can't read it because it's diagonal and all out focus.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I am assuming you looked in the trash on the dock to see if you could find it. If you had not emptied the trash and you can't find it maybe restore ALL of the trash and see if it shows up??? I'd go with spinnerlys' advice first. He is very knowledgeable and I have always found he gives good advice and help. Obviously, if you have Time Capsule or some back up mechanism, it should bethere.

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Genius

R U anywhere near a Mac Store. I've found them to be excellent and if they charge you, it's probably worth the peace of mind and to have it correctly done.

6. Warbitrary macrumors regular

If you left the files in the trash, you could have used "File > Put back" to restore them to their original locations. But since you moved them to the desktop, it might restore to the desktop.

Diagonal and out of focus? Sounds trippy. Post a picture, I have never heard about or seen this phenomenon.