Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Hi all,

I've had a motherboard replacement about a year ago just before my warranty expired. After some time I realized that my sound becomes quite unclear at high volumes. Let's say I'm listening to a song or watching a movie. At low volumes, it sounds clear and crisp and I can hear the audio clearly. However if I crank up the volume, the sound becomes quite unclear and muddy. However when I use earphones it's fine.

I remember I used to be able to play movies and songs at maximum volume in the past before the motherboard replacement and I did not have this issue.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this and what could be done? Is there any chance Apple would fix it because my warranty has expired?

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Hi all,

I've had a motherboard replacement about a year ago just before my warranty expired. After some time I realized that my sound becomes quite unclear at high volumes. Let's say I'm listening to a song or watching a movie. At low volumes, it sounds clear and crisp and I can hear the audio clearly. However if I crank up the volume, the sound becomes quite unclear and muddy. However when I use earphones it's fine.

I remember I used to be able to play movies and songs at maximum volume in the past before the motherboard replacement and I did not have this issue.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this and what could be done? Is there any chance Apple would fix it because my warranty has expired?

You probably fried your motherboard simply by turning up the volume too high. I know it sounds crazy but you might have overloaded it and subsequently killed the motherboard. Subsequently, you might have fried the speakers as well so that's why they are unclear.

If you don't understand, go to some of the car audio forums and the audiophiles will be able to explain it better.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
You probably fried your motherboard simply by turning up the volume too high. I know it sounds crazy but you might have overloaded it and subsequently killed the motherboard. Subsequently, you might have fried the speakers as well so that's why they are unclear.

If you don't understand, go to some of the car audio forums and the audiophiles will be able to explain it better.

You're right it sounds crazy.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester

Apple wouldn't have made a cripled device that fries itself when the volume is at its maximum. Although distortion at the highest of volumes on mediocre speakers is to be expected.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
You probably blew your speakers...

Try this though. Open Audio MIDI setup. Click built in output and select 2ch-24bit integer

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Not likely but you won't find out if you don't ask them. Not sure why you're asking here. Even if someone said yes that's no guarantee.

Problem could be the amp, could be the speaker. You'd need to have it checked out to verify.

JohnnyChao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
internal speakers are never great. invest in a desktop speake sysem like the harman kardon soundsticks or something, then u will have great sound!

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
internal speakers are never great. invest in a desktop speake sysem like the harman kardon soundsticks or something, then u will have great sound!

They look a bit gimmicky to be honest, rather have some nice 5.1 system from Philips or hook it up to a full audio sound system!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Frying a laptop motherboard due to speakers? Unlikely.

Blowing speakers? It's possible. Normally would require high power, but it can happen with regular use from time to time.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
They look a bit gimmicky to be honest, rather have some nice 5.1 system from Philips or hook it up to a full audio sound system!

Philips??? really??? I had a philips 5.1 once, it was the lousiest system I have ever owned, the optical input never worked, and the sound was crap but when I brought it I didn't know any better, since then I've learned to avoid philips like the plague, if it's a laptop just invest in a decent set of headphones

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Philips??? really??? I had a philips 5.1 once, it was the lousiest system I have ever owned, the optical input never worked, and the sound was crap but when I brought it I didn't know any better, since then I've learned to avoid philips like the plague, if it's a laptop just invest in a decent set of headphones

Philips usually aren't that bad, although I probably should have said Panasonic, I've a great set of headphones from Panasonic and they rival all other headphones I've ever used, even my Sennheisers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.