Sound Level weaker than a Flip phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ABC5S, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Some what hard of hearing (68 yrs old), but my new iphone 5s sound level is weaker, even with the sound bar pulled all the way to max. Even my old dumb Convoy 2 flip phone is so much louder where I have to turn it down for incoming calls.

Anyone notice same ? Are some of the iphones different than others if you have noticed ? Ear piece for incoming caller is just OK, but again a flip phone is louder. Anything you guys think can be done to improve this or is this the best there is ?

Thank you

2. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

How long have you had the phone? I know in the past, iOS devices speakers have a brief break in period, and will be louder after a few hours of use.

You could try different EQ settings and see if that helps.

Or you could go to the store, and test another 5S and compare the volume to see if its the same.

3. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

speaker break in period? lmao, is all in ur head i think

4. ABC5S thread starter macrumors 68040

ABC5S

5 days now. Used it first day around 4/5 hours setting it up. Didn't know about the EQ settings. Will look into that. Later an Apple store comparison.

richardbb85. Not in my head but in my ears :eek: :D Can't hurt but to try it out.

Thanks

5. tiktokman macrumors newbie

Totally not being a smart ass. Did you pull off the plastic protector that it ships with?

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Cruel man, cruel. :D

Yes my Razr was louder, but that's progress. :p

On the plus side I got Airplay in the living room, Bluetooth in the bedroom, Bluetooth in the car, it's painless to play on the big speakers.

7. elistan macrumors 6502a

I was going to ask the same thing.
    When I got my first iPhone I left the shipping plastic on the screen for as long as I could, but they volume was just too quiet. I even used a hobby knife to carve out a bit of the plastic covering the speaker - that worked but was ugly. So I decided to risk scratches, and took the plastic off. I never did get a scratch. So now I take the plastic off, front and back, as soon as I get a new iPhone.

8. ABC5S, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

ABC5S thread starter macrumors 68040

ABC5S

9. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Is there a specific EQ setting that will make the sound louder/sharper?

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Play with phone's placement will yield stronger sounds.

Around soft surfaces sound will be muffled, you want to place phone near hard surfaces in the near vicinity of the speaker's hole so to re-enforce sound waves. Won't do miracles but is free.

Hold the phone in mid-air, then move your other palm around the speakers' hole and notice the difference.

11. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

I have found in less than quiet areas, it is a bit hard to hear and I think it is a volume issue. Just not as loud as other phones.

12. ABC5S thread starter macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Volume alright Jalopybox. Sometime ago, I had a Samsung Galaxy 2, and it was even worse with the volume being at the top end, but still had issues with hearing. Friend of mine noticed same with my phone when we compared his phone with mine. One of the first things I check out, along with scratches and dents. My 5s is in great condition :D

13. Djay macrumors member

If like me perhaps you must wear a hearing aid. If so, some hearing aid companies can Blue Tooth pair your hearing aid with the iPhone. A call comes in touch a button and it broadcasts into the hearing aid.

"Oticon" is one company that has incorporated this.

Hopefully you are not at this level of loss.

14. ABC5S thread starter macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Perhaps I am. Just haven't checked it out yet. My other flip phone is just great in the sound department, not the iPhone. Wonder why some smartphones (Samsung/Apple now) are softer than my flip phone and why don't the manufactures improve on this. Just my little rant for today :D