Sound occasionally stops working on late 2013 MBPr and mid 2010 MBP both running 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Snookerman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Snookerman macrumors 6502

The sound on my MBPr late 2013 has stopped working four times in the past week and the only solution is to restart it. I thought there was something wrong with the computer but this also happened once on my mid 2010 MBP also running Mavericks so I'm suspecting that it has something to do with the OS. Has anyone had the same issue? Is there a solution? Thanks!

2. irmatt macrumors newbie

3. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

No. It's turned off and I never downloaded the extra package.

4. chillstatus macrumors member

I have the same issue with the latest rMBP 13". I noticed it happening to me several times today.

5. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up getting it repaired and having the whole logic board changed. I just got it back and it's working so far.

6. chillstatus macrumors member

Do you know how to reproduce the issue?

7. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

It only happened 4 times so it was hard to see a clear pattern. I always had something with sound paused (youtube video, netflix video, spotify, web game) and when I returned to it, it wouldn't play. I think I also had headphones on each time, but I'm not sure.

8. chillstatus macrumors member

I've been somewhat able to reproduce it this way as you mentioned. Your issue is totally resolved? Also for your repair, you left your machine with them? Were they were not able to fix on site?

9. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

It's been four days now and I've had no issues. Like I said, they changed the whole logic board so they had to order one from Apple. There's no Apple Store in my town so Apple sent me to one of their retailers. Maybe Apple Stores have logic boards on stock and can fix it on site, but I don't know.

I do recommend that you take it in and have them run their own diagnostics. They'll connect your MacBook to Apple and run extensive diagnostics that will find faulty sensors and such.

10. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Strikerblob, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

Strikerblob macrumors newbie

This seems to be Maverick issue. I get this issue in my Macbook Air 2013. This happens mostly when i wake system from sleep and system sound goes off.
    To verify this - Go to "Activity monitor" and search kernel task. You will find CPU% upto 100%. This may kill your system audio.This seems to be fixed in Maverick 10.9.2 update which will be coming soon.

or else

Stop using external audio devices and uninstall apps which have audio devices. you will know that in sound preferences if u have any. This may help you.

12. chillstatus macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I also got my logic board and i/o board replaced prior to seeing the last two posts on this. When I got it back, I still would get the issue. I'll wait for 10.9.2.