sound quality on itunes really bad!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sleepyyellow, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sleepyyellow macrumors regular

hey,

i hope this is the write board but it has to do with audio and im using digital out :p
    i own a MBP 4.1 for about 4 months now or a little less then that, and i imported music form my pc from cds that i ripped with winamp, also i got some albums i bought online from amazon and stuff, and the sound quality is terrible on itunes it sounds thousand times better on, a stream off youtube. every thing that has base on itunes just buzzes.
    my friend bought SRS iWOW and i asked him if i could try it out to see if it would work better it just somehow boosted the voices up but the bass still just buzzes. im really thinking of going back to a pc just for my music. my music is my life and if it is buzzy, my mac has no purpose.

any help?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Some clarifications:

- Is it only iTunes that sounds bad? Do other things sound fine when output on the same computer to the same audio device?

- What does iTunes sound like on that MBP with headphones or internal speaker?

- What is the audio device to which you're outputting the digital out?

- What kind of cable are you using, and where did it come from? Does the digital audio cable produce good audio with any other devices?

- What format(s) and bit rates are the files in?

P.S. Please try a little harder to use English... your grammar and spelling are so bad that I have to read what you write five times to try and understand what you're going on about. :p

3. sleepyyellow thread starter macrumors regular

haha, thats embarrassing. i didnt really read my thread and i was kind of distracted (listening to music heh)
    anyway i will try to be more specific and hope my spelling is better this time. i had this one track that sounded fine with my old pc (which put aside since i have a MAC) it had a great sound card CMI8788 if that says anything, with z-5500 logitech speakers. i noticed it sounds also bad on vlc and on other mp3 players i found MacUpdate. the bit rate is 192kbs, and some are 2...something.
    with my internal speakers it sounds even worse, and with the headset it sounds about the same as with the speakers.
    the cable is a TOSLINK i think its called like that i picked up at a local pc store, it wasnt too expensive but it works fine with the pc.

do you think i should convert the audio files to mp4 (or what does itunes use for a format, again?).

thanks for the fast reply, and sorry that i posted in the wrong section.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You don't really need a great sound card to get good audio quality on a digital output... it should be fairly close to the same whatever you use. And MP3 files of reasonable bitrate (at least 192) should be fine, although AAC (M4A) sounds better at a given bitrate than MP3. What you're describing definitely sounds off....

Hmmm... suggestions:

1) Again, does anything else sound okay? Like if you physically put a music CD in the MBP and play it, does it sound messed up also?

2) If you create a new user account, does audio sound okay in the new account?

If the answers are no and no, there's something physically wrong with your MBP and it needs to be repaired. If the answers are yes to either, then there's some kind of software problem going on.

5. sleepyyellow thread starter macrumors regular

i think its my macbookpro cuz i put in the cd and it still sounds like that. good thing its still under warranty. ill go let them check it out.

thanks for the help.

6. jeradhill macrumors newbie

Before you decide to take your mac in for repair try this: http://jeradhill.com/horrible-itunes-audio-quality-fix

I was having issues with my Mac Mini and simply trashed the preferences files for iTunes, audio quality issues went away instantly. I posted instructions on my blog.

7. Levinz11 macrumors newbie

Sorry noob here. How do you do this on a PC? Thanks

Music sounds WAY better out of my iPhone that from iTunes. I've messed with the EQ to no avail.

8. PT8648, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

PT8648 macrumors newbie

Why does the radio sound terrible in iTunes?

Anyone know why the radio stations sound so bad in iTunes? I have a MB Pro, with high-speed cable internet, connected to my Bose sound system. Everything sounds great except when I listen to iTunes Radio? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.